+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colt DA38 value

Junior Member pachevyman is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt DA38 value

I am new here and my grandfather is looking to get rid of his Colt DA38 but he wants to sell it a fair market value

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of this.

The serial number is 265244 all the assembly numbers match. It has the original holster. The dates are august 5 1884 nov 6 88 march 5 95 It has PTFAMfg stamped on barrel.

He got it from his grandfather.

I am not sure of the barrel length or grips, but I beleive they are original.

Thanks for any ideas in advance

Senior Member lonewolf is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Colt DA38 value

You need more than what you put down on your post.

Finish? Amount left? Blue or Nickle?

Barrel Length? Type of grips?

Is the gun(and holster) U.S.Army marked?? If it is,it will be worth more than a civilian gun in the same ship.

Bob Best has written a book on these older Colts,and should be able to give you definative answers.

Welcome to the Forum,and hope this helps.

Bud

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks Bud

It has a 6 inch barrel

Blued finish between 80 and 90% still there

It has the black grips he wasnt sure if it was bakelite or har rubber maybe wood.

It does not appear to have us army markings, but I am not sure how apparent they are or where they would be stamped

The front sight has been filed down a bit to make it smaller in case that figures into the value.

All I need is a very rough figure. He is going to sell it at an gun auction.

The serial number is #265244

Senior Member COLTDAGUY will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    71 times

Hi Pachevyman,
    Without actually seeing the gun or pictures of it and just using your description given, I would say that your gun is probably worth in the $200 to $300 dollar range depending on EXACTLY how bad the filing is on the front sight and EXACTLY how much blue wear there is and where its at on the gun. The holster contributes to that value assuming it is some sort of military holster or recognized period civilian manufacture.

Your gun is 1906 vintage. I have serial numbers on both sides of it with 1906 shipping dates in my database. Some collectors like history so if you have names and possibly photos of the owners you might get more for the gun... Hope that helps

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you that is exactly what i was looking for. Just to give you an idea why I needed this, my grandfather is having several items of his auctioned off and the auctioneer told him the gun maybe worth between 2000 and 5000 dollars. Originally he was just going to pass the revolver on to us as a family heirloom which is why the grandkids want it. However he needs the money so we wanted first rights over buying it. The auctioneer obviously did not know what he was talking about, now ill have to see what to do. Maybe offer 500 or something. I hate when people give an opinion and dont know what they are talking about.

Thanks for the input. What would the gun be worth if it was in mint condition so to speak a collectors item? In other high end price for the piece.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times

Hi Pachevyman,
    In answer to your question, I personally would not pay more than $500 for a MINT, meaning "new in the box" condition late model DA Army revolver.
    What is happening now is that the early Colt double action revovers are becoming more popular with collectors as more information becomes available and they can be had at a cheaper (than a single action) price. Dealers are scooping them up and asking pie in the sky prices on minty condition models. No collector that I know will pay that kind of money for one a late model one. They are just too easy to find in that condition at a reasonable price. Most speculators (not collectors) haven't determined rare variations from common variations and thus they think that they can get super high prices for any of the models... There are about 30 or so different variations of the early New Army and New Navy model revolvers produced between 1889 and 1908 that I cataloged for my book. Some are super rare and others are very common! Hope that helps... Bob Best

Junior Member shoppingdealz is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

We have a US Army Model 2582 Colt DA 38 Revolver from our father's estate. It was left to him by his great-uncle. Looks like it also says 1884. The top of the barrel reads colt's ptfa mfg. co. Hartford, Ct. USA. Patented Aug. 5, 1884 November 5 or 6, 88. It appears to be in mint condition. The handle looks like walnut. The barrel length is about 6" to the amo chamber. Any idea what this is worth? I can supply digital photos if anyone would like to see them. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    71 times

Hi Shoppingdealz,

Post some pictures... serial numbers are also needed to confirm just what variation you have. This affects value... How did you come up with the "Model 2582" nomenclature??? Bob

Administrator guy sajer has disabled reputation
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1093 times

Welcome Shoppingdealz

Please start a new thread if you take Bob's suggestions . Thanks [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Mitch

Please visit
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please support Crimson Trace Grips . They support our troops .

Junior Member shoppingdealz is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Hello, I will post some photos on a new thread. I believe the model number should be 1894. The other number is perhaps instead a serial number (2582). THANKS

Ads