+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member tsbrimhall is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Revolver identification

I inherited a Colt Police Positive 32-20 6" barrel from my father, the serial number is 73119T. When I look at Proofhouse.com, assuming the serial number listed there is the beginning S/N for the year looks like this is a 1909, is that correct? I'm thinking about selling it, what do you think its approximate value is? Is this something that I would be better off keeping as an investment as it may increase in value?

Attached Images

Senior Member fugio is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    The grips look like an original early PP. The SN ???? None of the PP's had a "T" suffix that I know about here. How did you arrive at the date for the PP? Sometimes the number on the crane is not the SN. Check the gun for more numbers. Remove the grips and look at the numbers on them. They should be listed as the last three SN#'s of the gun. Please describe the barrel stampings in full.

Most police positives are at the bottom of the barrel for value, but some people believe the better examples are "sleepers" that will eventually come into their own as all Colt firearms increase in value.

Senior Member Muley Gil is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Welcome to the Forum.

Your revolver is NOT a .32-20. Look at the barrel marking. Also, the frame is too small for the .32-20 cartridge. The .32-20 and .38 special were chambered in the Police Positive SPECIAL, which is a slightly longer frame than the Police Positive.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The "T" is a sub-script to the main serial, its above and to the right of the "9" which is not very visible in the pic. I pulled the handle and the serial on both sides is 73119

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So your saying its a Police Positive Special? What does the "Special" indicate?

The barrel markings are Police Positive, 32 Police CTG

Thank-you for your help in identifying this

Supporting Member Oyeboten is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1518 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tsbrimhall View Post
    So your saying its a Police Positive Special? What does the "Special" indicate?

Your Colt Revolver is a "Police Positive"...( not a 'Police Positive Special' )

The barrel markings are Police Positive, 32 Police CTG

Yes...and, this is a different -and shorter - Cartridge than the .32-20 aka .32 WCF.

The 'Police Positive Special' came in .32-20...and, also, .38 Special, and had a longer Cylinder and Frame than did the 'Police Positive', in order to accept the longer Cartridges.

Police Poositive - short Cylinder, for short Cartridges like the .32 Colt/.32 New Police, and, also the .38 Colt New Police or .38 S & W which were also short.

Thank-you for your help in identifying this

Your Police Positive has the lovely styalized "C" entwined with the Rampant Colt, which was only done for a few years...and is appropriate for a 1909 Colt Revolver.

Your Revolver's Serial Number is just plain 73119...the seconary smaller Stampings are inspectors Marks and or possibly, the "T" may mean it had been 'Targeted' at the Factory.

You are missing the Ejector Knob.

If timing and lock-up and Bore are all good, than, value, realistically, is abound $225 - $250 to those familiar, maybe a little more to those unfamiliar.

.32-20 would tend to be a little more valuable than the .32, but unless in very high condition, none of the Police Positives and Police Positive Specials tend to sell for more than a few hundred, and, even quite high condition examples can off and on still be had in that range.

Being a fairly early one, I would think is a 'Plus' but it would not really add anything to the price-realized kind of value...so, more of a bonus really for those who like the early ones.

Handsome old Colt!
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 05-21-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank-you all for this information, it really helps in knowing what this is.

Senior Member haggis is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    There are PP ejector rod heads available from SARCO.

Colt Police Positive Parts

These are original parts. I wouldn't wait too long to get your replacement (and maybe a spare) - you don't know how long these will last.

Buck

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads