Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

!!WARNING TO COLT OWNERS!! Colt does NOT honor their warrenty!!

7K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  guy sajer 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has experiecnced this issue...

i have been a long time colt owner.

Recently, i noticed 2 cracks in the barrel, one at 12 and the other at 3, of my Colt 357 King Cobra Enhanced, w/ a 6" stainless barrel. I called COLT and they refused to honor their "lifetime warrenty" because the revolver was manufactured in 1993.

Colt wanted $400 to replace the barrel on my revolver and refused to help in any other way.

WHAT CRAP IS THIS!!!!

#8 ·
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Any chance the King Cobra was fired with overpressure reloads? The reason I am asking is that I cracked the forcing cone (rear of barrel) on a Lawman MKIII with a load of blue dot and a 125 grain jacketed bullet. The load was slightly under max. listed in the Alliant load data. It was over max. in other loading manuals. Alliant has now discontinued recommending blue dot and the 125 grain bullet.

It may be possible to find a new/used barrel.

#9 ·
I'm truly sorry for your problem.
However, judging by your screen name and your first topic it seems you joined our community just to make a complaint. That generally doesn't go over well on any of the numerous firearms websites we are members of or visit.
Colt doesn't sponsor or own this website.

I hope we see some topics from you about Colts that are positive in the future. Since you are a longtime Colt owner I am sure you will have some nice guns and stories to share with us - welcome.

#10 ·
I do not understand the rancor. Colt's warranty policy clearly does not cover your Colt. I doubt that Ford or General Motors will warranty a twenty-year-old car either.

Do you really mean "cracks in the barrel?" I suspect you really mean the forcing cone is cracked, correct? Are you sure they are cracks and not scratches?

That is the first I have heard of a cracked forcing cone in a J-frame, Mark V, etc. forcing cone. Are you the original owner? If so, do you regularly shoot maximum handloads? If not, I suspect someone did shoot a lot of overloads.

Since the gun is worth more than $400, I would suggest you pay to have it re-barreled while Colt still has the parts for discontinued guns.

#11 ·
i love these guys that join the forum only to complain :bang_wall:
no i don't.

regardless of what damage might be involed or how it happened there are stipulations that have to be met regarding any warranty from any company.

btw, nothing here changed my mind, i will continue to buy and collect colts ;)

#13 ·
To unhappycoltowner;

My only thought on your post is this.

1. Why on earth would you join a "Colt" forum using a name like that?

2. Exactly how much help did you expect to get from a forum full of people that love Colt firearms?

I would have thought that your complaint would be best heard over on the Mossberg forum, (if there is one). Just like you, they most likely aren't Colt fans either.

Bud

#14 ·
Hi unhappycoltowner, and welcome to Coltforum, the home of many Colt enthusiasts and Colt experts.

Why don't you try contacting Brent, BJT72? Brent is a great guy, and a great Colt employee, the Manager of Colt's Custom Shop. He fixes many, many Colt problems to the satisfaction of Colt owners, like me. Brent will make sure that your Colt operates like new. I cannot speak to what the financial aspects will be. You can PM Brent here, as he is an honored member of Coltforum.com.

Since we are all (except, apparently, you) Colt enthusiasts, we really do not care much for you joining just to complain. There are ways that your entrance here would be far more welcome, such as asking us respectfully for advice. We like to help other Colt owners. So does Colt. We also like to treat one another with dignity and respect.

If you approach your problem and those who can help you with kindness, dignity and respect, you can expect to be treated the same way. Alternatively, if you anger people with a bad attitude, expect to be treated the same, and please do not expect anybody to want to help you.

Send Brent a PM. Treat Brent with the same dignity and respect with which you would like to be treated. Open your mind to the fact that your gun does not meet Colt's liberal warranty terms. I would give long odds that Brent will convert you to a Colt lover, happy with Colt's fine customer service - like me. Then, you can change your online name, and start to participate wholeheartedly here at Coltforum.

Good luck!

#16 ·
I would like to say welcome to the forum.It has already been stated just how to effectively help yourself by contacting Brent and explaing what the problem is and he will do right by you provided you drop the hostile attitude especially when it is clearly stated your gun was manufactured prior to the start of the lifetime warranty.If it were me I would send it back to Colt and have them rebarrel the gun while they still have the replacement parts.The gun is worth far more than 400 dollars.Good luck.

#17 ·
unhappycoltowner, since you are so distressed and,now anti-Colt,why don't you list all the Colts you have in the for sale section and offer them at "distressed owner prices"? Maybe we could help ease your pain by buying your guns at protest prices so you can start a Taurus collection. Nick

#23 ·
Sorry, while this thread has been humorous to read I disregarded "unhappycoltowner" the second I read his nickname. Probably thinks this is a Colt run forum.
Personally I would be willing to bet the cracks in the barrel are from owner negligence and no fault of Colt.

#25 ·
Sorry, while this thread has been humorous to read I disregarded "unhappycoltowner" the second I read his nickname. Probably thinks this is a Colt run forum. Personally I would be willing to bet the cracks in the barrel are from owner negligence and no fault of Colt.
I think we all assumed that, probably also uses a fork to fish out pieces of bread from his toaster as well.

#24 ·
Warning!
The Warranty does not apply to guns that someone has tried to blow-up.
Or one that was shot with reloads.
Don't ask me how I know.

They did replace the bulged cylinder on my relatively new Single Action Army, but I had to pay them to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.