+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Kermit1945 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

.32 Colt long brass--and dies

I'm wanting to reload .32 Colt long--the one that's the same case dimensions as the ol' .32 rimfire long. Is there a source of new brass? Somewhere I recall hearing it can be made from .25-20. True?

I'll be needing dies too. Anyone know of a source? I hate haunting e-bay, but...

BRB
    Member BRB is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Try Buffalo Arms Co. in Idaho. They have a large selection of odd and unusual dies and cases.
    ab7wh

Senior Member MMCSRET is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    I have picked up several boxes of factory 32 Long Colt ammunition in the last three years at gun shows. The most I paid for it was $20.00 a box, most was $15.00. I got several boxes of late production Remington, the bright green and yellow boxes from the early 90's. Winchester and Remington both produced it. Unless it is a long gone label from the 20's it is not particularly collectible. Also the European 320 Long case can be used. I really don't see how 25-20 could be reworked, it is based on a necked down 32-20.
    Buffalo Arms lists a mold. CH4D makes dies.

Senior Member DWalt is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    According to Donnelly's Handbook of Cartridge Conversions, there is no case available that can be easily converted to the .32 Colt Long. Best approach would be to try to find factory ammo.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just got advised on another forum that I may be looking for the .25-20 SS. Different case. Still learning.

Senior Member Merwin2 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    I ran across this. Look down in description for his new brass. Don't know if it's feasible, as the S&W brass is .337 and the Colt long is .313 to .318, but others might chime in on it.

If you live in a place, like I do, where Colt Long ammo has not shown up at any gun shows, you might want to consider the Colt Short. Not much less bang for the buck and components are out there. New bullets and cases are easy to find and I think you can get dies made.

32 Long Colt or Short Heel Bullets Ideal 299153 : Reloading Supplies at GunBroker.com
    Last edited by Merwin2; 09-04-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Got lucky--really lucky. Someone PMed me about a guy advertising on an auction site that he had .32 S&W Long resized and machined to .32 Colt Long specs. Nice guy. Bought all he had. Dies coming from CH4D. I'm in business! Well, except for heeled bullets. NEI has a mold. That's next, I 'spect.

Senior Member Joe A. is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    128 times
    You can check this site for heel based bullets. Gad Custom Reloaded Cartridges and Shell Reloading Services

Senior Member Merwin2 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Merwin2 View Post
    I ran across this. Look down in description for his new brass. Don't know if it's feasible, as the S&W brass is .337 and the Colt long is .313 to .318, but others might chime in on it.

If you live in a place, like I do, where Colt Long ammo has not shown up at any gun shows, you might want to consider the Colt Short. Not much less bang for the buck and components are out there. New bullets and cases are easy to find and I think you can get dies made.

32 Long Colt or Short Heel Bullets Ideal 299153 : Reloading Supplies at GunBroker.com
    Duhh!

32 Long Colt or Short Heel Bullets Ideal 299153 : Reloading Supplies at GunBroker.com[/QUOTE]

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've had some e-mail chat with Tom at Accurate Molds about design. He's got a .32 heeled 90grain design that looks promising, but he'll make a totally custom mold for no more than one in his catalog. I'm starting to fantasize about a heeled wadcutter. It'd have a nice wide riding surface. Maybe a hefty internal lube groove. Cast in dead soft lead. After all, I'm looking for a short range accurate load in what was a rimfire rifle. I'm sure having fun and learning more than I have with any of my past projects. But that's easily accomplished.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads