+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member andreasesti is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Durability Colt Python

hello Guys, I am new in The Forum and from Germany.First of all, please excuse wether my englisch is not that good.I have The chance to buy a 1976 6" Pyton in Blue in good condition for 650€ about 815$The question I have is how many shots will the Python last?No Dooms Day Ammo simple Factory loads (Magtec, Remington) and of course I take care of my gunsI am looking forward for your answers!Regards
    Last edited by andreasesti; 09-03-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Member hammerless-12 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    If your shooting only factory ammo and you take care of your Python it will outlast you. Mine has been around since 1975 and has been shot some, without any problems at all. The experts will tell you that on occasion the Python may need "tuned" as the action wears a little they are somewhat prone to go slightly out of time. When and if this happens you will need it tuned. Be very carefull with whom you let work on that revolver as the old craftmen that knew how to properly work on the Python are few and far between. I can tell you that if you are a normal shooter you have a long time and lots of shooting before you will have any issues with that Python. I assume your Python is 357 magnum? Mine is but I shoot mostly 38 specials in mine. The 38 special is a very accurate round and pleasent to shoot. I believe it also helps preserve the revolver in the fact that less recoil IMO is much easier on the revolver. The 38 is a fun round to plink with and if you havent tried the 38 special I think you will like it. I don't know how many rounds have been through mine but it would be safe to say it is in the many thousands. I don't anticipate having to tune mine anytime soon, but my son may have to. These are very well made guns and I would not hesitate to rank it right up there with your countries Korth. Maybe even better in some respects. If you got the Python for around $800 bucks, in this country you may have to be locked up for steeling it. Thats a good buy over here. Enjoy that Python and if you take good care she will most likely out last you. Happy shooting my friend.

Supporting Member MtnSpur is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1757 times
    As with any firearm, the hotter the load the more wear to the gun. Shooting standard .38 Special ammunition will certainly prolong the life of your Python though I know of late 1960's Pythons that have only had .357 shot through them and they are still performing as designed without any timing issues whatsoever.
    "The end comes no matter what, the only thing that matters is how do you wanna go out, on your feet or on your knees?".....FBI Director James Grace from "The Kingdom"

Senior Member mafd2 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    357 times
    Ditto to what hammerless-12 says. The Python is durable for a medium frame revolver. A problem you would encounter is spraining the crane from slamming the cylinder shut like they do on these "cop/detective shows" but, if you say you take care of your guns so that shouldn't be an issue .

Senior Member oberon is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    252 times
    The life of any quality modern fiream that recieves adequate care and is not fed gorilla loads all its' life will have an indefinite lifespan. E.g., you will not be the guy who wears it out.
    There will be maintenance considerations and possibly repair at some time or another, but for all practical purposes, you will get a lifetime of enjoyment and use from it. Probably you children and grandchildren, too.

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1545 times
    Here's some good info on Python durability from a master Colt gunsmith:

Is the Colt Python "delicate"? | Revolvers, Personal opinions, Gunsmithing | GrantCunningham.com

The actual frame and cylinder of the Python are very strong, probably stronger then most other medium frame revolvers. This is due to Colt superior forged frames and parts.

As the above linked article says, the Python does have parts that require routine maintenance, depending on factors such as how powerful the ammo, how much you shoot, and a big factor...how you treat the gun and how you shoot it.
    As example, shooting rapid fire by yanking the trigger as hard and fast as you can will cause wear faster then shooting with a gentler trigger pull.
    Old Colt shooters learn how to "roll" the trigger instead of jerking it. You can still shoot fast, but this is less wearing then just jerking the trigger.

So, while other brands of revolvers can withstand more abusive treatment longer, the Python is like an expensive sports car that requires more maintenance than a cheaper car. What you get for the higher maintenance is greatly increased performance, especially level higher accuracy.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Thank you all. All I can do now is just sit and wait until the authority for public safety gives the OK to buy the python .

I am so jealous regarding US Weapon rights. Weapon law becomes stricter and stricter in Germany

Member El Gringo is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Hi andeasesti and welcome to the forum. Ill guess your weapon laws is similiar to those in norway where I live. I have purchased a Python like to one you are going to, its a fantastic gun. Good luck with your Python purchase!

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Only Smith 686 and one GP 100 in our shooting Club. I am one-of-a-kind A friend from our club gave me the advice not to buy a Python. I asked why, he said an other guy, we Call him Powder Kurt sold his one... On my further enquiry he got no spare parts as he needed one... After 30 Years and Kurt always loads his own ammo with > 1000 Joule instead of usual ~ 700 Joule from factory ammo.

And my fathers Friend is a locksmithmaster, he sure is able to reconstruct a spring just in case

Senior Member oberon is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    252 times
    You are way ahead if you get the Python. There is no finer production .357 magnum in the world. To get anything close, you would have to get a custom of some type, like Korth.
    Please post about German firearms laws & regulations.
    Inquiring minds want to know.....

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads