Colt Forum banner

Colt Official Police 38 special ctg

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tarcher 
#1 ·
I am looking for some clarification about my Colt Official Police .38 Special ctg .
Proofhouse.com indicates that my Colt was made in 1961. No Problem.
But the Gun Codes and Markings section gave me this for the ctg:
ctg WW-II German ordnance code assigned to Karlshutte Waldenburg, Altwasser, Germany.

Am I looking at this right??

If I remember my history WW II ended in 1945.
How can my Colt be WW-II German Ordnance?
OR am I reading this wrong?? :bang_wall:

#10 · (Edited)
The SN can be easily used to date it, at least approximately, as you have done. A Factory letter is $100 (I think), but it won't tell you anything about its history after it left the factory, mainly just the date of shipment, how it was equipped (i.e., finish, barrel length, grip type) when shipped , caliber, and where it was first sent (often to some wholesale jobber or distributor, very, very seldom to an individual). You must decide if such information is worth the cost to you.

Considering its anonymous past, tracking down any information about any previous owner(s) is a daunting, if not impossible, task, and is frankly not worth much effort if you do not have a starting point to work from, as there are just no records of ownership that exist. Occasionally a previous owner's name may be engraved on it, which would help, but that is unlikely in this case.

#11 ·
I expected a little cost in finding the history of my OP, but $100.00 just to start out.... I'll just be greatful that I have it and enjoy shooting it from time to time. Thanks everyone, for your help which just confirms one thing.... Shooters, and guns collectors are some of the greatest people in the world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.