+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Beans is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

.45 ACP cylinders in a .45 Colt SAA

I have a couple of 3rd Gen .45 Colt SAA with the removable bushing.

I shoot mostly 45 ACP in my autos and seen that Midway has the .45 ACP cylinders for sale, allegedly made by the same people that make the Colt cylinders.
    I would like to be able to reload a couple of thousand rds of .45 ACP and use them in both the GM and the SAA.

However I have been informed by another SAA fan that the jump from the 45 ACP rd in the cylinder to the barrel is so long what accuracy I now have will go to heck.

My current .45 Colt cylindersthroat measures .455-.456 :-(. The barrel slugs at just over .451
    I am looking for information from anyone that has used the.45 ACP cylinders in their .45 Colt SAA.

Good/bad/indifferent?
    Beans

Supporting Member Jim Martin is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    786 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post

I shoot mostly 45 ACP in my autos and seen that Midway has the .45 ACP cylinders for sale, allegedly made by the same people that make the Colt cylinders.
    I would like to be able to reload a couple of thousand rds of .45 ACP and use them in both the GM and the SAA.

However I have been informed by another SAA fan that the jump from the 45 ACP rd in the cylinder to the barrel is so long what accuracy I now have will go to heck.

My current .45 Colt cylindersthroat measures .455-.456 :-(. The barrel slugs at just over .451
    I am looking for information from anyone that has used the.45 ACP cylinders in their .45 Colt SAA.

Good/bad/indifferent?
    I may be mistaken but if memory serves me correctly the acp cyl's were only made for the 1st & 2nd gen colts which means they wouldn't work in a 3rd gen. due to the fact that the ratchets on the rear are different that the 3rd gens. ratchets,although there's a possibility that colt may have made some acp's by special order for the 3rds.

Supporting Member c.marsh is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    i have a 3RD generation colt SAA in 45lc with a 45ACP cylinder FROM THE CUSTOM SHOP made in 1996.the 45acp cylinder was fitted at a cost of $260.00 including the cylinder.you will have to look on COLTSMMF site for the new priceing......

Member trapper45 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    My own experience with three different applications shows no appreciable difference.

A Colt factory-fitted ACP cylinder, fitted about two years ago when the gun was back at Colt's for another issue, works great in a 7-1/2" 1971 NRA Centennial (2nd-Generation, I think).

An aftermarket Uberti ACP cylinder works just as well in two Uberti-made reproductions.

The original ACP cylinder that came with my Ruger Blackhawk Convertible (from 1980) does fine, too. Both the Uberti and Ruger ACP cylinders have been milled down on the rear face to accept .45 AutoRim with their thicker rims, but still allow regular .45ACP to headspace as normal on the internal step in each chamber.

With all of those, there's no practical difference in point of impact or group size out to about 25 yards. Recent successful plinking at clay pigeons set up on a 100-yard-distant berm with the traditional fixed-sight Colt and replicas seems to bear that out at longer distances as well. Even the Ruger, with no adjustment to the sight setting, busted the pigeons.

At practical pistol plinking distances a .45 ACP cylinder should work quite well, especially if you're using factory ammo, since ACP is 'way cheaper than store-boughten .45 Long Colt.

This is only anecdotal info which may not prove anything in general, but for me, I use the two interchangeably and don't worry about accuracy: not enough difference, if any, to tell.

Get it and enjoy.

P.S.: That recently Colt-fitted factory ACP cylinder has a removable bushing, as well.
    Last edited by trapper45; 11-13-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Senior Member 84cadillac is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    I think that a competent gunsmith could make you a .45acp cylinder and fit it to your revolver. The throat diameter could be set at .451-.452. In fact, a .357 cylinder could probably be rechambered if you wish and fitted to the gun. Whether this would be a situation that would pay you back is another issue. I can buy cowboy .45 Colt loads at the gun show for about $25 for 50 rounds. Of course you shoot reloads, so you are probably close to that (less if you use cast bullets).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luke 22:36

Senior Member swamprat will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1915 times
    If you get a 45 ACP cylinder with the removable bushing, you will have no problem with it working in your gun that presently has that type of cylinder. There is a 45 ACP cylinder listed on GB or ebay now (forget which), but I don't remember if it has the removable bushing or not....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    TED CRUZ FOR PREZ IN '16!

Supporting Member Matchlock will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Put my saddle on the stove, Ma! I'm Ridin' the Range tonight.
    Liked
    2163 times
    What a strange coincidence. I was wondering if my 2nd. generation SAA (1960) was correct with the .45 ACP cylinder in it. Anyway, I took it out for the first time on Sunday and fired some factory ACP's I had and some of my own reloaded ACP and both of them shot far better than I expected. Sorry I didn't keep a target, (I stopped doing that years ago) but I can tell you that although I prefer my own reloads to the factory recoil, the ACP's shot extremely well. I was able to get 2" and under from 25 feet off a sand bag. I rested my arm on the bag. When I rested the butt on the bag I got decent groups but it shot to a lower point of aim.

All in all I'm quite satisfied with the .45 ACP rounds, and as a matter of fact, will keep it this way.

I hope that helps.

Bud

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post

Good/bad/indifferent?
    "I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. - Mhatma Gandhi

Senior Member Frank V is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    191 times
    I think Colt will fit a .45ACP cylinder.
    They do work pretty well note the ammount of Ruger SAs that come with both cylinders.
    Frank
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

J2X
    Member J2X is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mine is one of the best shooters I have. It started life as a .38 spl. I changed the bbl and had the cylinder rebored. Not sure if the factory cylinder will be as good (or better?), but don't worry about the 'jump in the cylinder' you mention. I also have a convertible Blackhawk that shoots better with ACP than Colt.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links