+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Colt Official Police w/King Target Sights

Senior Member rangerider7 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    This is my only "D.W. King Conversion" San Francisco. It is a Colt 44-40 New Service. It was used by a LEO in the thirties. RR7

Last edited by rangerider7; 11-30-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    "That'll Be The Day"

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Rego View Post
    I believe the gun started out as an Officers Model Target and would letter as such. Look at the area where the rear sight is mounted. On the left side you can see what looks like a pin through the frame where the original windage adjusting screw tip came through. Chow machined the rear of the frame and flat top for the sight leaf. The barrel looks like a post war OP barrel by the caliber & patent markings. Maybe the original OMT had a bulged barrel and was a good candidate for rebarreling and reworking with better sights. Still, a very cool revolver made up by a master gunsmith.
    Good eye. I believe you are correct because it does have the rise at the rear of the top strap as well.

FYI ZainyD, it would still be serial numbered with the Official Police & Marshal.

Senior Member Abe Anglin is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gdogs View Post
    I was under the opinion that the Kings in LA was no longer in operation.
    thank you for your information ...

I checked in there this morning and find that you are correct, its under new management and is now called American Gun Works.

Junior Member fiddlestick is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The offset hammer is really nice.

Junior Member zainyD is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Rego View Post
    I believe the gun started out as an Officers Model Target and would letter as such. Look at the area where the rear sight is mounted. On the left side you can see what looks like a pin through the frame where the original windage adjusting screw tip came through. Chow machined the rear of the frame and flat top for the sight leaf. The barrel looks like a post war OP barrel by the caliber & patent markings. Maybe the original OMT had a bulged barrel and was a good candidate for rebarreling and reworking with better sights. Still, a very cool revolver made up by a master gunsmith.
    Fascinating observation, I knew I came to the right place for information! You are correct about the pin going through the frame and the contour of the top of the frame. It appears to be a pre-war Officers Model Target frame, not an Official Police. Furthermore, the ejector rod extends beyond and does not match up with the milled portion on the underside of the barrel corroborating your speculation that it's a post-war Offical Police barrel. To add further confusion to the situation I was inspecting the six digit serial number on the frame and crane and noticed that the forth digit appears to be a "2" stamped over a "6". The "6" is much lighter than the other digits and is barely visible under the "2". The "2" matches the other five digits in style and depth on both the frame and crane. The serial number again is 62529X.

Earlier today I called Colt to order a factory letter in order to satisfy my curiosity. I was told that it will be approximately 4 months before it arrives so the waiting process begins. When I spoke to Colt I told them it was an Official Police, because, at the time, I didn't know the difference. I will call them on Monday and provide them with the correct information.
    Last edited by zainyD; 11-30-2012 at 06:31 PM.

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    419 times
    Don't tell Colt it is an Officers Match Target as there is no such thing. Just tell them it is an Officers Model or Officers Model Target.

Senior Member Walter Rego is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    here are a couple of pics of an OMT .38 frame showing what the original configuration looked like

Senior Member Bushwhacker is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    FWIW I have an article saying that Bob Chow was hired by King Gun Sight Company in 1947 to supervise a six man gunsmithing staff. He was there until he left to serve in the Korean war in 1950. King went out of business in 1953, when the Ricky Gun Sight Company aquired the rights to use King's name, patents, logo, etc.
    God created men and Colonel Colt made them equal.

Junior Member zainyD is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    FWIW I have an article saying that Bob Chow was hired by King Gun Sight Company in 1947 to supervise a six man gunsmithing staff. He was there until he left to serve in the Korean war in 1950. King went out of business in 1953, when the Ricky Gun Sight Company acquired the rights to use King's name, patents, logo, etc.
    Sir, is there any way I could get a copy of that article from you? I would like to get as much info on Mr. Chow as I can.

Senior Member Bushwhacker is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    Check your PM.
    God created men and Colonel Colt made them equal.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads