+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member jcd390 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt Peacemaker .22 Mag Cylinder

Okay guys, I am new here and I have a problem with my Colt Peacemaker .22 Mag Cylinder. This gun was passed down to me from my Grandfather and has never been shot so I am not sure if it just needs some breakin time but here is the problem. Whenever I place the Mag Cylinder in, the gun doesn't not want to cycle as well as the .22 cylinder. Sometimes it works great and then at other times it want locks up and you have to force the cylinder to rotate. I am not sure what is going and I really didn't want to bring it to a gunsmith without asking for help first. So has anyone ever had any problems like this or have any suggestions that might help? Thanks and I hope I explained the problem well enough.....

Senior Member smokey04 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    jcd, First, does your gun have a flat faced crowning on the barrel?If it is flat your barrel is NOT .22 Mag. compatable. If it has a rounded crowning then it is .22 Mag compatable.Assuming your barrel is .22 Mag. compatable then the cylinder is not properly fitted to the gun.It may be an "after market" add on to the gun and not originally issued with the gun. A good gunsmith could fix it or a return to Colt might be the best solution.I have a small collection of these .22SAA and a few cylinders some will fit right in even if they are not original to the gun and some won't. If you don't have access to a few extra cylinders I would suggest you contact Colt and see if they can help. If they can't get back to me and I'll see if we can work a trade . Nick

Senior Member Buckspen is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    297 times
    All Colt Peacemaker .22 revolvers were designed to work with both the .22 LR cylinder and the .22 Magnum cylinder. All the guns were finished the same with a rounded crown. (The earlier Frontier Scout revolvers did have different barrel crowns for .22 and .22 Magnum.)
    Do you know if the Magnum cylinder came with the gun when it was originally purchased? If not, it may be an aftermarket cylinder. Every Colt made cylinder I have ever tried in one of these guns has worked without a hitch (a very few may need to have cylinder busing trimmed slightly). If it's an aftermarket cylinder, that could be your problem. The cylinders were never marked with the Colt name or logo so, unless you really know what you are looking at, it may be hard to determine if it's Colt or not. Can you show a photo of the Magnum cylinder?

- - - - Buckspen

Senior Member dogface6 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    758 times
    Try running a slightly oversized bore brush through the cylinder a few times, then apply a good lubricant (I ue Pro-Shot's 'Pro-Gold') then try and see.

Good Luck.

Senior Member Lawman67 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    511 times
    it probably needs to have the bushing fit. That is about as bad as it usually gets . All 22 Peacemakers were made with crowned barrels compatible with 22 lr and 22 mag, not a big deal

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads