Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Colt 2nd Gen. Stainless 1860...

Supporting Member Rio is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    248 times
    Can someone please post areliable and verifiable source that will confirm Iver Johnson's role in the manufacture of these second generation guns?
    I have the book Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993 and there is no mention of work on Colt single action revolvers.

Rio

Senior Member KMKCOLT is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Just for the record I believe I did state they were made by the Italians and finished here and sold under the dome as I read. I may not have known the extent of the rolls played by all parties involved but I only stated what I knew and asked to have some one to clarify what I couldn't. I have owned and still own 3 models of the 2nd gen Colt black powder models. I have an 1851 F series black box, pocket navy and a pocket police silver plated trigger guard. I also have a very early brown box and round brass trigger guard 1851 navy which wasn't made many of. I also own and shoot two Navy arms 1851 models in 36 cal and 44 cal.
    Joe A. likes this.
    "When you pay peanuts you get nothing but monkeys." My Dad. "Every man needs to know their limitations." Dirty Harry.

Senior Member KMKCOLT is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Just for the record I believe I did state they were made by the Italians and finished here and sold under the dome as I read. I may not have known the extent of the rolls played by all parties involved but I only stated what I knew and asked to have some one to clarify what I couldn't. I have owned and still own 3 models of the 2nd gen Colt black powder models. I have F series black boxed, 1851 Navy,pocket navy and a pocket police silver plated trigger guard. I also have a very early brown box and round brass trigger guard 1851 navy which wasn't made many of. I also own and shoot two Navy arms 1851 models in 36 cal and 44 cal.
    "When you pay peanuts you get nothing but monkeys." My Dad. "Every man needs to know their limitations." Dirty Harry.

Senior Member CJS57 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    590 times
    This tells the story 'Real' Black Powder Colts...

Senior Member steg is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    119 times
    If any of you want the real story behind the 2nd and 3rd generation Colt percussion revolvers, you have to buy a copy of Dennis Russell's book: "Percussion Colt Revolvers . The Second Generation - Collectors Handbook #6". It contains a complete history of these guns as well as a complete discription of each model made as well as accoutrements, cases and parts. It has a separate section with similar information about the 3rd generation Colt revolvers. It can be had from Dennis Russell c/o Jared Press, 3162 Johnson Ferry Road, Suite 260-807 Marietta, GA 30062. With due respect for Mr. Adlers efforts, he got his info from Dennis Russell.

Supporting Member JudgeColt will become famous soon enough JudgeColt will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1073 times
    When I started reading this thread and saw the statement that Uberti made the Colt blackpowder guns, I immediately went to the "Quick Reply" screen to start typing a rebuttal, but then saw that steg had already corrected the record.

Occasionally, someone will say the same untrue thing about the Single Action Army too. Once these rumors get started, they never seem to die.

Senior Member steg is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    119 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeColt View Post
    When I started reading this thread and saw the statement that Uberti made the Colt blackpowder guns, I immediately went to the "Quick Reply" screen to start typing a rebuttal, but then saw that steg had already corrected the record.

Occasionally, someone will say the same untrue thing about the Single Action Army too. Once these rumors get started, they never seem to die.
    Amen to that!!!!!!

Supporting Member Rio is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    248 times
    I am aware of the Adler book (I bought the first copy sold to the public) but I am at a loss as to why there is no mention of these Colts in the history of Iver Johnson book.

Rio

Supporting Member JudgeColt will become famous soon enough JudgeColt will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1073 times
    Perhaps the author of the Iver Johnson book was unaware of the Colt connection. As we all know, not all authors know everything about their subject, and some know surprisingly little (Reference: the Sapp Colt book).

Junior Member LeFevre is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Matchlock,
    You have a post about person selling colt 1860 stainless steel. There is a list and you mention the items are in new york. Is this stuff still available?
    how do I contact? Looking to buy. Please! Please contact me.
    You can use this site I just signed up or call me....570-490-7050 .....I'm in PA
    Hope some one sees this and contacts me..

Thanks so much,

LeFevre

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads