+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Member amx686970 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

22 Scout Frontiers value

I have the opportunity to purchase two Colt .22 Frontiers. One is a 1972 New Frontier and the other is a 1969 Scout Frontier .22 nickel K series in the box with 2 cylinders. I am trying to value them and I know condition is everything. I haven't seen it in person yet but plan to this weekend. It appears to be nice from pictures. I have two questions:

1. Were pearl grips an option for either of these pistols, the Scout in particular? Do they affect the value?
    2. What are these valued at these days?
    Attached Images

Supporting Member Colt75 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    314 times
    I don't think either gun has the original stocks. Doubt they are real MOP anyway. The box has been modified and is not in pristine shape. The guns look pretty good overall. I'd guesstimate the value for both at around $1000 to $1100. If the stocks are real MOP add $600. As always, JMHO.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt75 View Post
    I don't think either gun has the original stocks. Doubt they are real MOP anyway. The box has been modified and is not in pristine shape. The guns look pretty good overall. I'd guesstimate the value for both at around $1000 to $1100. If the stocks are real MOP add $600. As always, JMHO.
    Thanks for your input. I assume the value you quoted is retail...assuming they are not MOP what would be a bargain/fair price on these?

Senior Member Buckspen is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    269 times
    Colt did not use plain pearl (artificial or not) grips on any standard production .22 caliber single actions. They did use some with Colt medallions on some commemorative guns, but the grips on both these revolvers are not original. The nickel Scout would have been shipped with plain walnut grips and the New Frontier .22 would have had black plastic eagle grips. The box for the nickel Scout is so worn and abused as to be next to useless and should not be considered.
    I would say that $500 each would be a rather generous evaluation unless they are in really excellent condition. For some reason, Frontier Scouts and New Frontier .22s have fallen in value recently. There have been any number of desirable .22s listed on GunBroker without attracting any bids. Don't know why this is happening but it is.
    More photos or a better description is needed to really evaluate these guns.

- - - -Buckspen
    Last edited by Buckspen; 12-18-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Supporting Member MtnSpur is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1617 times
    On the "boxed" Frontier Scout I'd not pay but $400 and that would be with a fight. Buck's assessment about the packaging is spot on, pretty much junk. The New Frontier, maybe $400 on that as well, same fight getting the money out of my hands. The stocks on both appear to be plastic but in all honesty one picture isn't enough to say for sure. Opinions on value will vary and why the Scouts and New Frontiers are sitting and not selling, no clue.
    "The end comes no matter what, the only thing that matters is how do you wanna go out, on your feet or on your knees?".....FBI Director James Grace from "The Kingdom"

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I anticipate seeing them this weekend and will probably have to make a decision on the spot. This gives me a good idea of top value and judging by condition I can go from there. I appreciate your input about the box and stocks. I thought the box might add value but with its apparent condition doesn't add any significant value and the stocks probably reduce its value from what I gather. I wasn't aware of the decline in sales either which usually means a decrease in values. Thanks guys for your time and responses!!

Supporting Member Colt75 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    314 times
    I just noticed the New Frontier .22 has the .22 Magnum cylinder installed. Without the .22 LR cylinder this would drop the value. Something to keep in mind.

Supporting Member what would you say is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    735 times
    I've noticed the drop in value as well on Gunbroker. The perfectly mint with all original extras may attract full attention, but the single action 22's such as these examples are not getting snatched up at the moment. Don't know if its time of year or what really explains it either. everybody seems to get hungry for the same things and then it floats to something else.
    Yeah, most anything altered from the original configuration devalues. Hopefully the fit of the grips to the grip frame is good so they will be fun shooters and still look good.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt75 View Post
    I just noticed the New Frontier .22 has the .22 Magnum cylinder installed. Without the .22 LR cylinder this would drop the value. Something to keep in mind.
    I don't know if he has another cylinder with this one or not. That begs to ask the question now...how much of a drop in value if it does not have another cylinder? What are cylinders running right now?

I know he also has 22 Heritage Rough Rider that he mentioned having two cylinders. He inherited these and doesn't know much about them. I assume the extra cylinder for the this one isn't for the Colt. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Senior Member Buckspen is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    269 times
    All New Frontier .22 (and Peacemaker .22) revolvers with serial numbers under G200000 were originally shipped with .22 LR cylinders. Some were also shipped with the .22 Magnum cylinders.

Genuine Colt .22 LR cylinders for the single actions are selling for around $100-$175 depending on condition.

It's possible that one of the cylinders with the Heritage revolver is really for the Colt. Compare the dimensions and size and shape of the locking notches on the Colt cylinder with the cylinders with the Heritage revolver and you may find a match.

Good luck!

- - - - - Buckspen

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads