+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My Grandfather's D.A.38 Officers Model

Junior Member hsegura is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    the serial number seems clear to be 233XXX even though others on this site suggested it was probably 288XXX and just hard to read due to the nickel. i see 233XXX. if the gun is 38 special i would feel better about the fact i shot some 38 special through it. only 12 rounds, but it shot like a champ. real smooth action. apparently the gunsmith might be right in his assessment after all.
    i will try to contact bob best for his advice if he is the guru of this weapon. being new to the site, i will see if i can find him.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Had the caliber verified, it is a 38 special, and cleared for shooting. Gunsmith says the gun has not seen many rounds, with little or no shooting wear, all tight and solid. He also agrees that the serial number is 233XXX.
    Back to Bushwacker,,,how can I contact Bob Best on the forum. Do you have his user name?

Senior Member Bushwhacker is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    129 times
    I believe his handle is COLTDAGUY.
    God created men and Colonel Colt made them equal.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I attempted to contact Coltdaguy but his inbox is full. will try again another time. thanks.

Supporting Member thecoltguy is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1626 times
    Your gun is the second version of the first model as it has the later frame and that was not introduced until about serial number 267,000-271,000 so your serial number can't be 233,000. Your gun has been re-finished as these were not offered in nickel. To quote Bob Best on the chambering:

The OM was originally advertised to handle S&W's then propriatary .38
    S&W Special cartridge along with the .38 LC and other .38 cartridges based
    on the .38 LC case. The OM came out about 1904. .38 Spl was S&Ws product and
    there were some lawsuits about marking barrels with its name by other companies,
    Colt included. That is why the guns are marked as they are. So to answer your
    question, they were ALL .38 LC guns... it just so happened you could shoot .38
    S&W Special rounds in them, and Colt advertised that.

If you contact Bob he can expand on any info that you need as he wrote the book on these.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I am sure the refinish is the reason the 288 looks like a 233 to me and others. Hope to talk to Bob soon. Thanks for your input.

Supporting Member what would you say is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    449 times
    Welcome to the Colt forum Hsegura. As I have often found over the last few years, after a little digging through all the evidence presented to them, these guys are expert level in knowing what you have. Usually someone, as in this case, will even present a photo of what they have that matches yours. I've found my local gun shop to be in error a couple of times now with respect to Colts. Nice Colt you got. btw, if you are not a reloader and just want to shoot that a few times, I saw 38 Long Colt ammo on Cabelas , think it was Black Hills brand in the cowboy loads. I believe its a little kinder on the gun than the 38 Special ammo would be.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Went to the gun range today and shot the Officers Model. 50 rounds of wad cutters. Still shoots great. Also shot my 1911, Service Model Ace, Baretta Storm, Ruger P94, Victory snub, M1 Garand, and my Remington 1100 with new 18.5 barrel. I smell like gunpowder and everything from the chest up hurts. What a great day!
    By the way, dont forget to put the O ring back in your 1100 when you change the barrel,,,,no shell ejection and kicks like a mule,,,LOL

Art
    Member Art is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Wow, You got a lot of cleaing to do..........

Quote Originally Posted by hsegura View Post
    Went to the gun range today and shot the Officers Model. 50 rounds of wad cutters. Still shoots great. Also shot my 1911, Service Model Ace, Baretta Storm, Ruger P94, Victory snub, M1 Garand, and my Remington 1100 with new 18.5 barrel. I smell like gunpowder and everything from the chest up hurts. What a great day!
    By the way, dont forget to put the O ring back in your 1100 when you change the barrel,,,,no shell ejection and kicks like a mule,,,LOL

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yup. Spent most of last evening doing just that. And, putting all parts back in my 1100. Duh! LOL

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads