+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: SAA Artillery where do I start

Senior Member bearcat6 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    194 times
    The "Artillery" revolvers were refurbished Cavalry revolvers that had their barrels cut from 71/2 inches to 51/2 inches. During this re build process parts just went into bins and when the guns were reassembled the parts were mixed up so that is why these guns had several different numbers. DFC stands for David F. Clark an army inspector. The A is for Ainsworth another inspector who did most of the very early guns. There is a very good book about these guns by John Kopec, For a fee he will also authenticate cavalry or artillery revolvers. This service is necessary because the price of these guns has made for a huge amount of fakery.

Senior Member Rick is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    From the pics, the gun looks legit to me with the exception of possible replaced grips. I like the early frame and t.g. numbers.

Senior Member quietman is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    My avatar is a like gun. Your's looks just like mine. I love the worn look. With a magnifying glass you may be able to find initials stamped on the grips. Mine has a very small DFC for David F. Clark.
    Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.Will Rogers

Junior Member DMike is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have not really examined the grips very well. They do look worn to the same extent as the rest of the gun and they have a very settled in , fitted look. Most of the wear seems to fit service type use, overall it has a pleasing historical appearance. I am interested to find out more, the seller recalls conversations about the gun being associated with the NY"National Guard" she calls it.

Senior Member Rick is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    It's possible Colt has a second shipping address for this gun. Some artillerys do. 'Course it'll cost you to find out. I checked some research books I have from Springfield Research Service and your frame number is not listed.

Junior Member DMike is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I talked to Colt today and gave them the frame , cylinder and trigger guard numbers, they had no record of any them. In the springfield scenario, what are the chances that one gun would end up with all 3 and 4 digit serial numbers when reassembled. As the family history of this gun develops it appears that the oldest traceable owner was in new york his entire life. Born in 1890 Died 1970.

Senior Member wraco is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DMike View Post
    This also came with it, maybe this will help date it.
    Not much to tell from the belt other than the Colt 45 Winchester cartridge is Smokeless powder. . The "W' on the primer indicates this.

Rod

Supporting Member Blackjack33 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    119 times
    Inspect the frame number very carefully. If it is "978" it would be in the first lot of 1,000 manufactured for the Cavalry, shipped September 2, 1873. Remove the grips and look in the channel on the back where the grip strap fits. You may find a serial number written in India ink if they are original Cavalry grips. It probably isn't inconceivable that all the parts would bear early numbers if it was part of a large batch of early guns that were recalled and refurbished, but it is unusual. Often, the frame and gripstrap were left together and thus carried the same serial number when refurbished. They did that because it kept the "fit" of the grips together. I would be concerned if Colt has no record of the revolver having been refurbished around the turn of the century and no record of any of the revolvers that carried the original serial numbers. I'm not aware of any breaks in the records of the refurbishing of Artillery revolvers, but someone may correct me.

If it were mine, I would start out with a Colt letter. Let Colt do the research and if they find no records for the frame number (the only number they will research), they should refund your $100 fee. If you go this route, be sure and request the original record and, as Rick suggests, tell Colt to look for a "second record", which would verify that the gun was refurbished to "Artillery" configuration for use in the Spanish-American War or Phillipine Insurrection.
    Last edited by Blackjack33; 01-23-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Senior Member dogface6 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1216 times
    Springfield Armory also refinished them - like Colt, they shortened/fitted 5 1/2" barrels, installed new grips and refinished them overall.

This would be the 'real' Springfield Armory - the one in Massachusetts, and not the one going by that name in Illinois...

Supporting Member what would you say is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1128 times
    Nice looking Artillery, DMike. I hope it turns out to be the real deal authentic piece. Nice photos.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads