• 1 Post By d.a.r.y.l

Thread: Police department marked Python

Supporting Member d.a.r.y.l is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    471 times

Police department marked Python

I have a meeting with a seller later today that has a Python with the following police department markings.cai-Atlanta-vp.Does anyone have any idea other than Atlanta GA. as to the meaning.The gun is rather finish challenged and I'm not sure if I will get it refinished or leave as is,providing I make the purchase.One other thing is that the hammer spur is broken but enough of the hammer remains for DA use.If I get it refinished I will buy a replacement hammer and have Colt install it when they do the timing check.If purchased I'll post photos but I must warn you of it's ugliness.It could cause some stomach discomfort. D*
    Daryl
    If you keep doing what you always did you will always get what you always got

Supporting Member hope2 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    throw this out there: community association institute - Atlanta - vice president ??

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    471 times
    Since you are from Atlanta that guess is as good as any.I wonder if anything would be revealed with a letter from Colt?D*
    Daryl

Senior Member dogface6 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1033 times
    CAI - Century Arms International...

They import.

Supporting Member eagleeye is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    IMPORT have seen others in the last 6-10 months CAI ^^^^^ correct

Supporting Member 03clyde is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    My vote is an import done through CAI and thusly marked.

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1628 times
    People often ask, "What possible foreign police department would buy Pythons, or could afford them"?
    Apparently several, as I've seen several batches of Pythons with import stamps.

As example, after the First Gulf War, the Emir of Kuwait re-equipped his police with Mercedes cars and 4" Colt Pythons.

After the war, and Saddam was driven out, the most hated people in Kuwait were the large numbers of Palestinians who'd helped Saddam and were responsible for many atrocities against the people of Kuwait.
    I heard stories that at the very slightest excuse the Kuwaiti police would "Python-ize" them.
    Everyone was very impressed by the .357 Magnum and the Python.
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 01-22-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Senior Member hookedon1911s is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    As to Colt doing any work on it, last I saw on the website they are not accepting any work at this time. It has been several weeks when I last looked. So I could be very wrong.

Senior Member cda926 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by d.a.r.y.l View Post
    I have a meeting with a seller later today that has a Python with the following police department markings.cai-Atlanta-vp.Does anyone have any idea other than Atlanta GA. as to the meaning.The gun is rather finish challenged and I'm not sure if I will get it refinished or leave as is,providing I make the purchase.One other thing is that the hammer spur is broken but enough of the hammer remains for DA use.If I get it refinished I will buy a replacement hammer and have Colt install it when they do the timing check.If purchased I'll post photos but I must warn you of it's ugliness.It could cause some stomach discomfort. D*

Atlanta Ga. PD never used Pythons in my recollection and haven't issued Colts of any description since the '40s.

Please post a few pics......

Charles
    WANTED: Police & Company issued revolvers!!!!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    471 times
    I got the Python.Got home too late to do pics.The stamping is cai georgia vt.It is in good mechanical shape.Total cylinder movement fore and aft is .004" for a gun that has been used as much as this one has I don't consider that an issue..011"clearance with the cylinder back against the frame and .007" with it forward as far as it would go.Timing and lockup are both good.Trigger pull in DA will take some getting use to very little pressure needed befor it lets go.The hammer spur being cut off is an aggravation and looks bad but it's still long enough to allow DA function.It does have a near new set of goodyears with the Colt gold medallions.I will most likely replace them with finger groove boot grips that I have.I'll try to get photos of it posted tonight.Yes it is ugly on the outside but beauty is only skin deep anyway.D*
    ProTourAero likes this.
    Daryl

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads