Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Colt D.A. 38

Junior Member mebersole is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt D.A. 38

I am thinking about selling this old Colt D.A. 38, but I am not sure about it's value. I think there should be some markings on the Butt of the gun, it has nothing there. Was it modified and what would this gun be worth?042.jpg047.jpg045.jpg044.jpg

Senior Member .455Eley is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    It would be in the $2-300ish I think. However, the serial number has been removed and is technically not legal to own for that reason.
    I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals. - Butch Cassidy

NRA Life Member

Senior Member knifeusercollections is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    That would make an amazing parts lot auction. If it were mine I'd remove every single part from the revolver, destroy the frame and sell all the parts in one auction.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Do you think the parts would bring more than $300?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am pretty sure the four digit number shown, is the serial number and I believe this gun is legally registered.

Senior Member kevin hines is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mebersole View Post
    I am pretty sure the four digit number shown is the serial number and I believe this gun is legally registered.
    SN must be on the frame; on this model, on the underside of the butt. I believe (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) the # on the cylinder latch is an assembly # only.

Check with a lawyer. You may be able to get a SN issued by BATFE and put on by a gunsmith or FFL. If some of these crime shows are right, you may also be able to get the original SN raised where it was evidently removed from the underside of the butt.

I gather that the Army property markings were often removed to avoid being accused of possessing stolen property, and the nearby SN went, too. Or the markings may have been removed in the process of sanding down the plug used to fill in the lanyard ring hole.
    Last edited by kevin hines; 02-03-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think you are right about the reason for removing the markings. I will have to decide if it's worth all of the trouble. It would be a shame to just part it out, but that is probably the easiest thing to do with it. Thanks for the advice.

Senior Member twaits will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1558 times
    Kevin, you are right. The serial number should be on the butt and has been removed. The other numbers are only assemby numbers.

Senior Member kevin hines is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mebersole View Post
    I think you are right about the reason for removing the markings. I will have to decide if it's worth all of the trouble. It would be a shame to just part it out, but that is probably the easiest thing to do with it. Thanks for the advice.
    It should be only a small amount of trouble (probably more time than trouble ) getting a new SN. I'd hate to see you lose an otherwise perfectly good gun.

Senior Member DWalt is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Do some internet searches on this topic - It comes up a lot. From what I understand, it's not too hard to get a new SN assigned. But whether it's worth the hassle for a low-value revolver, I do not know. Probably not. Or just keep it. Your chances of getting into trouble over it are quite low. And I have understood that even if you are somehow caught with it (in a non-crime situation), the only consequence is confiscation as prosecution for having a weapon with an obliterated SN is normally not pursued. Some advise just getting a steel number stamp set and applying your own number.

Ads