+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member JoshuaM. is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Frontier Scout DuoTone

Hello, newbie here. Yesterday I came across a really good shape Scout, that came in a nice looking pine Colt box. I'm pretty sure the box isn't original, but it is cut perfectly for the pistol, and it looks pretty old. SN# is 258#Q. I was wandering if I could find a .22Mag cylinder for it, and be all right to shoot? And I've never seen a Duotone before, are these rare? Thanks in advance... I'll try to attach a picture...
    Attached Images

Supporting Member wdkline is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    The "Q" serial numbered duo-tone Frontier Scouts were produced in 1957-58. Alloy frame and grip frame left in the white. Chambered for 22LR only. Barrel is bored for 22LR, not 22 mag. Even though you can probably get a 22 mag cylinder to fit, don't shoot 22 mag. Some say you can get away with it, but why risk wrecking a very nice six gun, or parts of your anatomy?

"Q" series Frontier Scouts were normally shipped in a brown wood-grain cardboard box with a green interior. The presentation box that you have is likely not original to the gun.

The duo-tone Frontier Scout included an "F" serial number version from 1958-1961. Total of both types was just under 40,000 made.

The reference for Colt Fronter Scouts is "Scouts, Peacemakers and New Frontiers in .22 Caliber" by Don Wilkerson.

Enjoy your Colt.

Bill

Senior Member Buckspen is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Go to a local hardware or paint store and get a Minwax Wood Finish Stain Marker in Cherry (#235) and one in Red Mahogany (#225). Depending on the exact color of your case, these will help repair the scratches in your presentation case. If some of the scratches are pretty deep, get Minwax Blend Pencils in the same colors. I've used these products to repair many of these Frontier Scout presentation cases.
    Nice Duotone!

- - - - Buckspen.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What would something like this be worth, I thought it was a decent deal at $500... But maybe I should give up impulse buying.

Supporting Member what would you say is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1059 times
    I'm not sure to the dollar what your duo-tone is worth. As the years pass, it gets harder and harder to find examples of the Colt 22 Scouts, New Frontiers, and Peacemakers in nice condition. If you like it, you did good. Colts are always desired and sellable, and we have the ol' saying, "It a Colt. You can't pay too much , just may have bought too soon." The correct style box for your gun is possibly obtainable.
    You need to get Don's book on these Colt 22's if the collector bug bites you. Most everyone on the Forum will recommend that one for these 22 single actions. It's a must and runs around $40 bucks I think.

Senior Member Bowhunter is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaM. View Post
    What would something like this be worth, I thought it was a decent deal at $500... But maybe I should give up impulse buying.
    500.00 isn't a smokin deal but as stated earlier they aren't makin any more and good condition ones are hard to find. I think you did just fine with the purchase.

Senior Member Buckspen is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    500 bucks for the gun and case wasn't a bad deal if the gun is in nice condition. The box looks good on the inside and the exterior can be cleaned up and retouched. These boxes sometimes sell for as much as $100 in good condition.

- - - -Buckspen

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks y'all... I did get a chance to shoot it yesterday, and it shot nice. When I took the cylinder out to clean it up good, it appeared to have not been cleaned for awhile, as the powder residue was caked to the alloy frame.

Supporting Member MtnSpur is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1852 times
    Those wood presentation boxes with the "red velveteen cloth" interior were typically used for the K series nickel Frontier Scouts. I lucked into one back in 2011 purchased from the estate of the original owner who never had the hammer back and it's still in that condition. I was fortunate to get the duo tone Q/F Series made in 1958 with the F suffix S/N from a forum member that is my "wabbit" gun. It's in very good condition and hasn't let me down. While I'm usually one to live and let live for the lil bunnies they've multiplied far too much and have started dining on the wife's plants so drastic measures needed to be taken. Here it is:

1958 Colt Frontier Scout F (2).jpg
    "The end comes no matter what, the only thing that matters is how do you wanna go out, on your feet or on your knees?".....FBI Director James Grace from "The Kingdom"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads