Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Colt Frontier Six Shooter .44-40 Help

Junior Member CoachZ89 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Colt Frontier Six Shooter .44-40 Help

My father-in-law just gave my wife his Colt Frontier Six Shooter .44-40. I was wondering if any of you had any way to find some information about it. He called Colt a while back with the serial number and found out it was sold to Sears in 1907, but that's all I know about it right now. Send me some links so I can learn some more about the history of this cool gun!

I was wondering what the approximate value of it is, if the grips could be original and if I can buy any box of .40-44 for it and shoot them or if I have to buy a specific kind (of course I'd get it checked by a gunsmith first). Thanks!

IMG_1450.jpgIMG_1453.jpgIMG_1464.jpgIMG_1454.jpgIMG_1462.jpg
    Last edited by CoachZ89; 04-01-2013 at 06:13 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Supporting Member LEO918 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Looks like a pretty nice gun. The grips look like stag and probably are not original. I won't speculate on it's value, however .44-40 ammunition is still available. A very nice family heirloom and piece of history.
    Living a dream.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member pecosriver is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Notice that the caliber is 44-40,not 40-44.If the gun has been checked out,you should probably use cowboy loads to be on the safe side.If you chose to sell,there are probably several on this forum interested.

Senior Member 84cadillac is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    I will say that the number on the loading gate does not match the serial number on the gun (Isn't supposed to). There is probably another number under the triggerguard. When you handle the gun and pull the hammer to the half cock (loading) notch. Never lower the hammer from this point, always pull the hammer to full cock and then lower the hammer. This prevents the scratch around the cylinder. How much original blue color is on the gun? Is there much of the mottled color case hardening visible? How is the bore? Does the gun stay on the first and second notches? The answers to these questions will have a bearing on the value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luke 22:36

Supporting Member smkummer is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    208 times
    It appears the exterior finish has never been messed with and that is a plus. If your father-in-law found out it was shipped to sears, they may have also stated what type of stocks were on the gun, if the stocks were unknown, then it would have most likely shipped with hard black rubber stocks. If the gunsmith states its OK to shoot, any commercially available 44-40 ammo should be fine. He will basically check that when the gun is cocked, that the cylinder locks so as to be in-line with the barrel. Also he will check the forcing cone area of the barrel for cracks and if the cylinder chambers have heaving pitting or cracks and also the condition of the barrel. Also, he will check for fore and aft play of the cylinder (called endshake). Lead cowboy ammunition will be cheaper than Winchester or Remington jacketed soft point ammo.

While the exterior finish has mostly turned to patina (a nicer way of turning brown) it has not been cold blued or messed with. The lettering is still sharp. I would state at least $1500 and up in this market which appears to be turning around for the upside of late.
    CoachZ89 likes this.

Senior Member coltsixguns is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    The barrel that is on the colt is a later production barrel than what came on an original 1907 vintage saa. The high profile sight and the 44-40 added behind the "colt frontier six shooter" indicates that it may have been later than 1915 or so.

Here is what the barrel marking and front sight should look like for the 1907 production era. The gun pictured is a 4-3/4" barrel length but the markings and the sight are the same no matter the barrel length.

DSC03592.JPG

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pecosriver View Post
    Notice that the caliber is 44-40,not 40-44.If the gun has been checked out,you should probably use cowboy loads to be on the safe side.If you chose to sell,there are probably several on this forum interested.
    Thanks pecosriver I edited my original post to correct my typo. I had the title right at least!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 84cadillac View Post
    I will say that the number on the loading gate does not match the serial number on the gun (Isn't supposed to). There is probably another number under the triggerguard. When you handle the gun and pull the hammer to the half cock (loading) notch. Never lower the hammer from this point, always pull the hammer to full cock and then lower the hammer. This prevents the scratch around the cylinder. How much original blue color is on the gun? Is there much of the mottled color case hardening visible? How is the bore? Does the gun stay on the first and second notches? The answers to these questions will have a bearing on the value.
    Thanks for the info 84cadillac! We didn't know about the hammer lowering procedure and will make sure not to do that anymore. As far as the other questions...I'm not sure what blue color means or mottled color case hardening. I'll have figure that out...it looks pretty brown all over. I haven't looked at the bore actually, I'll do that next time. The gun does stay in first and second notches, but I have to say you barely touch the trigger in 2nd position and the hammer falls. Not sure it's supposed to be that easy.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coltsixguns View Post
    The barrel that is on the colt is a later production barrel than what came on an original 1907 vintage saa. The high profile sight and the 44-40 added behind the "colt frontier six shooter" indicates that it may have been later than 1915 or so.

Here is what the barrel marking and front sight should look like for the 1907 production era. The gun pictured is a 4-3/4" barrel length but the markings and the sight are the same no matter the barrel length.

Attachment 35530
    Thanks coltsixguns! I actually just read about the 44-40 being added after 1915 and was super confused. I'm guessing that messes with the value of the gun. We'd never sell it I'm just curious as guns are kind of a new thing for us. My father-in-law has started to give us what he calls "our inheritance" early and this gun is part of his collection.
    Frank V likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads