Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Grizzly

Senior Member dyogi is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    48 times

Grizzly

Grizzly on BunBroker with a BIN of $6000. Has one bid for $5000, reserve not met. Seller has 0 feedback, buyer could be hyping up the bidding? I may have to drag mine out of the safe if this trend continues.

Supporting Member TFlyboy is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    256 times
    Interesting gun. Colt Grizzly .357 Stainless 6" Barrel Revolver : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

The King Cobra owner's manual threw me as I always thought a Grizzly was a Python. Well, kinda/sorta....

From another listing: a Colt Grizzly is a limited production revolver, .357 Magnum caliber. It is in fact a Colt King Cobra with a ported Python barrel. It has a non-fluted, smooth cylinder and Grizzly rollmarkings.

Thanks for posting. And good luck Marc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Supporting Member keystonearms is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1333 times
    The Kodiaks and Grizzlies have been one of the best performing (Appreciating) Colt Revolvers over the course of the past year or so. The 6" Kodiak has gone from $3500 to $5000 in the Box! Over a Hundred bucks a month is a pretty good return on your money.

The Kodiak is a V Frame Anaconda so the Kodiak was supplied with the Anaconda Manual.

The Grizzly is a V Frame King Cobra with a Python Barrel and was supplied with the King Cobra Manual.

One thing I will have you note in the Current Auction the Serial number of the gun is CGZ9xx. This is noteworthy in the fact that many people say there are only 500 Grizzlies. I have owned many and they have ranged from #83-#860. The Kodiak and Grizzly have their own serial number prefix which is CKA for the Kodiak and CGZ for the Grizzly. I know many guns have skipped around in serial number ranges but with the prefix, I can't imagine Colt would skip numbers. I put my vote out there that there are 1000 Grizzlies and not 500.
    Last edited by keystonearms; 04-12-2013 at 11:00 PM.
    TFlyboy likes this.

Senior Member Chicago is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    119 times
    Its actually CGZ958 Keystone.

Senior Member dyogi is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I believe that Keystone is correct, mine is numbered CGZ605

Supporting Member prostrok is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    Mines in the 850 range also
    BOA 5/6
    BOA 69/70
    BOA 143/144
    BOA 169/170
    BOA 173/174 Plus a few other Snakes and Bears

Senior Member ohiobuckeye is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by keystonearms View Post
    .......many people say there are only 500 Grizzlies. I have owned many and they have ranged from #83-#860. The Kodiak and Grizzly have their own serial number prefix which is CKA for the Kodiak and CGZ for the Grizzly. I know many guns have skipped around in serial number ranges but with the prefix, I can't imagine Colt would skip numbers. I put my vote out there that there are 1000 Grizzlies and not 500.
    I agree. The question has been tossed around for many years and discussed here a few times. Evidently, Colt has no specific document that shows total number made, and has to look each one up by individual serial number....not an uncommon thing with Colt firearms records. I don't recall the exact year I became involved in the discussion, but it was back when NIB Grizzlies were still selling around $1k, Kathy Hoyt also suggested the 1k number to be more accurate than the 500 number, and since the one I kept in my collection is #629, I tend to agree with her and Keystone. Also, they seem to turn up more often than guns known to be limited to 500 total production. Just my opinion.

Supporting Member jgregory17 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Seems 1,000 is a little more likely with the evidence stated above

Senior Member ProTourAero is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Mine is 219.
    ProTourAero
    Mike McKinney

219-926-9793

Supporting Member jcs is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    302 times
    Marc...Perhaps the seller is relying on the Blue Book which states 500 manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by keystonearms View Post
    The Kodiaks and Grizzlies have been one of the best performing (Appreciating) Colt Revolvers over the course of the past year or so. The 6" Kodiak has gone from $3500 to $5000 in the Box! Over a Hundred bucks a month is a pretty good return on your money.

The Kodiak is a V Frame Anaconda so the Kodiak was supplied with the Anaconda Manual.

The Grizzly is a V Frame King Cobra with a Python Barrel and was supplied with the King Cobra Manual.

One thing I will have you note in the Current Auction the Serial number of the gun is CGZ9xx. This is noteworthy in the fact that many people say there are only 500 Grizzlies. I have owned many and they have ranged from #83-#860. The Kodiak and Grizzly have their own serial number prefix which is CKA for the Kodiak and CGZ for the Grizzly. I know many guns have skipped around in serial number ranges but with the prefix, I can't imagine Colt would skip numbers. I put my vote out there that there are 1000 Grizzlies and not 500.
    Regards, John
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

"No man's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session. " ....
    Mark Twain

Ads