Colt Forum banner

model 1877 resoration

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  rhmc24 
#1 · (Edited)
Our family has had an 1877 Colt, built in 1902, for several generations. It was last used by my grandfather in his rural Arkansas store in the early 1900's. As far as can be determined it has not been fired since the 1920's. My parents had it until 1980's when I got it and I expect to pass it on but in working condition. A local gunsmith said it has a broken spring, which, he said could not be located. I called Colt this morning and was provided a California contact but they said they do not repair double action Colts. This is my first appearance on this forum and am seeking advice and or help in 1. get a replacement part 2. finding someone to make the part. or 3. finding someone to repair the part. Picture is attached.

After seemingly endless "googling" for DA gun parts found company in Washington state, Wisners, that is reproducing old Colt DA parts. Should have part in a couple of weeks, next challenge is to find gunsmith who works on old Colt DA revolvers. Ken

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The problem with the 1877 re-pop springs don't have the same pressure. If the hammer spring and trigger spring tension don't match well the gun will function sporadically at best. That is why no one works on them. The correct parts are unavailable. Try ebay some times original springs come up. make sure they are original though. I have fixed about 5 of these and spring tension is the usual problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.