+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Nutmeg Ivory Grips - Thoughts on if its worth it ?

ESP
    Junior Member ESP is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Nutmeg Ivory Grips - Thoughts on if its worth it ?

I was on the Nutmeg Sports site and it was a great site to click around in for an hour and it got me thinking of some ivories for one of my pythons. . . anyone have thoughts on ivory grips in general (pluses, minues, practicality, just for show ? ) I like the way they look depending on the style but didn't know too much about ivory grips.

Also the gentleman's story about working for Colt was rather fascinating too !

Supporting Member eagleeye is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    nickel colts & storage shed 003.jpgnickel colts & storage shed 006.jpgalthough not a python but a saa. i just got these back from nutmeg last week.
    had the ivories put on the short barrel SAA and they also built me a second cylinder to use with 45 ACP.
    top notch company. if anything on your python it will bling it ,raise the value,& people will drool.

ace
    Senior Member ace is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    Are they worth it? It's your money and your gun, only you can decide if they're worth it to you.

Senior Member mm6mm6 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    I simply love ivory. I prefer medallions for that factory looking style. One piece style without screws is just amazing too. I like ivory when it's new and white and I love how it ages and turns yellow. It takes a long time if you're careful. Try not expose the ivory handles to cleaning products or oil. There is a warm, soapy feel to genuine ivory that just can't be beat.

It's the Rolls Royce of custom grip material. Mother of Pearl and then Stag are tied for second place in my book.

rhmc24, VaqueroAZ, boykin and 1 others like this.
    "I hope your fingers aren't ticklin' my ivory handled Colt." (Paden in Silverado)

Supporting Member jcs is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    328 times
    Jim Alaimo does great work. I highly recommend him. I just got these consecutively numbered SAA's back two weeks ago. He had them completed in two months. Action job and ivories by Jim, engraving by master engraver Jerry Harper and color case and bluing by Doug Turnbull. Remarkable! He now working on a pair of ivories for my Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade.

Regards, John
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"No man's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session. " ....
    Mark Twain

Supporting Member Colt75 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    326 times
    Ivory is not just for show. It is pretty darn durable and will stand up under day to day use. It is the King of handgun stock materials.
    Colt-SL and mm6mm6 like this.

Senior Member Buckspen is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    297 times
    The winter of 2010-11 I was laid up for about six months with two total knee replacements. I had a pair of Colt SAAs that I had bought a couple of years before for cowboy action shooting. My knees got bad and I hadn't done much shooting. While I was laid up, I bought several pairs of semi-finished one-piece ivory grips from Jim Alaimo at Nutmeg. I spent much of my recuperation/rehabilitation time fitting the grips to my pair of SAAs. Like mm6mm6 (above), I love the feel of ivory. Stag doesn't feel good to me and pearl feels cold. I found that ivory was surprisingly easy to work with and takes a great polish with minimal work.
    Last year, I resumed cowboy action shooting on a regular basis with my ivory handled Colt's and they are great. I don't shoot as fast as I used to, but I take my time and try for a clean match. And have been able to do it, more often than not. I just love grabbin' those ivory handled Colts, throwing lead downrange and making smoke!saaivory1.jpg

- - - Buckspen

Supporting Member MtnSpur is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1663 times
    I think anyone that has done business with Jim and Nutmeg will attest to the superior quality and decent turnaround time. Of course, the more we tout their work the busier they may become . Aw, heck, it's not like they're a trade secret. Well worth the money and time to have Nutmeg do their thing.
    Stevez likes this.
    "The end comes no matter what, the only thing that matters is how do you wanna go out, on your feet or on your knees?".....FBI Director James Grace from "The Kingdom"

Supporting Member coltfreak is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    There is no one better nor more stand up than Jim. If you have the money and the want, then Nutmeg is the place to go. Jim is just an amazing craftsman. You won't be disappointed.
    HayesGreener likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Benefactor Life Member; SASS Life Member - Johnny Rio; Colt Forum Supporter; Member Colt Collector Assoc.

Supporting Member Radicalrod is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    668 times
    Well I think they are shipping me a set of IVORIES today.....can't wait....pics to follow soon....RR.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads