Colt Forum banner

Is this a 1930 period holster?

981 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  zulu6 
#1 ·
Any information regarding this holster will be helpful. thx,

See less See more
#2 ·
A:

As our resident holster nut, Turnerriver, is out of town this weekend I will jump in here. You made no mention of any makers marks or codes, so I assume that there are none. The style of holster shown is one of the lower grade field holsters that have been available for many years, and probably back as far as the '30s. This style of holster was made by just about every maker, but Brauer Bros. comes to mind first. It was perhaps the most prolific maker. They are not, and were not, expensive holsters but served the function well. Without more information it is very difficult to say if the holster is 70+/- years old.

HTH.

Charlie Flick

#3 ·
Tempting gun isn't it? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif This holster, obviously for a longer barrel has Brauer Bros, St. Louis embossed on the snaps. It has been in my "family" since at least the 50s and probably the 40s. Can't say for sure ealier than that, but it's possible. FWIW /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#4 ·
Your holster could be that old-generally,brass snaps indicate 1950's or earlier.Maker,model number,hardware & other details are the best indicators of age.As with many collectible items,general appearance is also a good indicator.With the right attention to detail & experience,holsters can frequently be dated within a given decade.
I am,as ordnanceguy states,a holster nut.Pairing a period correct holster w/ a fine Colt revolver is,IMHO,a rewarding
experience.
Regards,
turnerriver

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.