+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member ColtCollector1911 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt Magnum Carry .357

I just picked up a Killer Colt Magnum Carry .357 Revolver Today! I LOVE IT! I have always Liked The Stainless S&W's till today! I just wondered how many were made? I think they were just made in 1999? I Have Never Seen One Till Today. I any one has ANY info share on these Killer Revolvers PLEASE let me Know! THANKS
    Own A Colt Or Own A COPY!

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1391 times

Re: Colt Magnum Carry .357

Like I aid, enjoy your new Colt.

As for Ruger production, the last time I checked S&W had produced FAR more guns than Ruger. Remember, S&W OWNED the police revolver market including a great many foreign police and military forces. Ruger did come on strong, but never really got a major portion of the police market share.

S&W still makes more models of revolvers than most companies combined.

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1391 times

The Magnum Carry started out in the late 90's as The Colt SF-VI (Colt Small Frame, 6 shot). Caliber was .38 Special.
    This was to be Colt's replacement for the Detective Special "D" frame guns, which were simply too expensive to make. These older Colt guns required extensive hand fitting, and Colt could no longer afford to continue to make them.

The New SF-VI was a totally new gun with an action loosely based on the Trooper Mark 3/King Cobra revolvers. This action required little hand fitting. The early guns had a very light trigger action. Some people had trouble with the light trigger pull causing "short stroking", so Colt offered to replace the trigger return spring with a heavier spring. Later guns had the stronger spring as standard.

Several years later, after all the older original "D" frame guns were out of the supply system, the gun was renamed The Colt DS II, (Detective Special Two).

About a year or so before Colt suspended most revolver production, the gun was offered as the Magnum Carry in .357 Magnum.
    When Colt did suspend production of revolvers, the SF guns were discontinued. Whether Colt will ever again produce them is doubtful, but possible.

Apparently, the SF guns were not good sellers for Colt, since they cost more than most of their competitors similar models, and the gun didn't win high marks from some owners. Many people were dissatisfied with the appearance of the gun, and quality of the action.
    One feature widely disliked was the extremely sharp muzzle of the squared off barrel. The barrel is so sharp the gun would "eat" the holster. Many owners rounded off the sharp edges.

Another complaint was the rear sight notch. On older Colts, there is a cut in the frame around the notch that acts as a 'shadow box" to provide a good glare-free sight picture. On the SF guns the cut was deleted as a money saving measure, and the sight notch is surrounded by a shiny, glaring, rounded area.

However, those who bought the SF guns were usually well satisfied with them. They were reliable, powerful, and accurate.

On the SF-VI I owned, I rounded off the muzzle to the same profile as the shrouded Colt Detective Special guns, added an ejector rod head, and opened up the "window" in the barrel shroud to clear the new ejector rod head, and finally made the "shadow" cut around the rear sight.

One of the major complaints about the SF guns, was they weren't want many people really wanted...an older Colt Detective Special in stainless steel.

However, they are a fine quality gun, and in the Magnum Carry version, fairly uncommon. In coming yeas they will have some collector interest.
    Enjoy.

Junior Member ColtCollector1911 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks For The Reply! I've always Love Colt Autos And S&W Revolvers. But this Magnum Carry is the stuff! I changed the grips to Eagle Ebony and I used a Python Grip Stud. It came with Hogues and didn't come with a grip stud, but was drilled for one, an easy fix! The action is as good as any of my Factory S&W's. And I have something that most people have never seen. They think it is a Stainless Detective .38spl till I show them. And their mouthes drop when I tell em its a .357mag! It is used (fired very little if at all) so I will shoot it and post the results.

I would like to know how many were produced? And like you state the Rugers (I like Rugers but nothing Rare Here, I bet more Rugers were made than any other American Hangun Made! And the company only started in the middle 1950's not the 1850's!) and others. even S&W's were putting out thousands compared to one of the Colts and at less than half the price, how could Colt compete with Quanity against Quality?

I talked to Paul Zamski today from the Colt Custom Shop about a Custom XSE they are building for me and asked him about a action job on the Magnum Carry and he said send it in and He'd Fix it up for me. But I think its fine and will only get better with age. I would love to find out the production numbers. Paul said he thought there wasn't many made, as you have also stated?

So Thanks For The Great Info And Have A Very Safe And Happy Holiday Season!
    Own A Colt Or Own A COPY!

Member 4thHorseman is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

I have a Magnum Carry. The first thing I did was round off all the sharp edges with a stone, including rounding off the sharp square trigger. It hurt everytime I shot it. Ibought one of the very first revolvers ever produced.
    dfarriswheel, I'm interested in how and where you got your rear sight shadowed boxed. Yes it is a problem in the wrong lighting.
    Another interesting note to the SF-VI, it stood fot Small Frame Six shoot. The VI was actually a Roman numeral for six. Not to many people knew that and called it simply SF-VI. What a marketing blunder by Colt. So many people continued to call it a Detective Special they later changed the name back.

------------------
    "One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality." Crazy Horse 1874
    One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality. Crazy Horse 1874

Member #
    Liked
    1391 times

4thHorseman:
    I'm a retired Master watchmaker and gunsmith.
    I did it myself.

There are two methods:
    The best is to use a milling machine to make a circular cut.

The "expedient" method is to use a file to make a straight cut.
    Either works.

The reason the original gun was named SF-VI was for two reasons.
    First, that's the Colt designation for that frame. (Small Frame, Six Shot).
    Second, the Colt Detective Special was still in the wholesalers supply line. Colt didn't want any confusion between the two different guns.
    As soon as the Detective Special's were all shipped by the wholesalers, the gun was renamed DSII.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 01-02-2003).]

Junior Member JCM298 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Testing

Junior Member JCM298 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Greetings from a new member,

I purchased a Magnum Carry in 1999, NIB. The dealer said it was the first sold in Tucson.
    I had a hammer shroud from an old Detective Special installed and, in my mind, made it look better.

The sharp edges of the trigger were stoned because I got tired of bleeding every time I shot it. I replaced the Hogue grips with a pair from Badger.

The sharp edge of the muzzle did not bother me and the sights were fine for my eyes.

The problem is that it will not shoot. At 15 yards, I can barely keep the shots in a 3" group. It looks like a shotgun pattern.

My S&W Model 649 gives me one ragged hole at the 5 o'clock position. I've used half a dozen types of ammo., both factory & my re-loads, with the same results. My old Cobra would do better than the Magnum Carry. I am not pleased with it & it will be used in trade, maybe for another S&W.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads