+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member FotoTomas is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt, U.S. Army Model 1901

I recently purchased a Colt U.S. Army Model 1901 revolver. The piece apears to be original in every way including the smooth walnut grips and lanyard loop.

My plans are to use it as the first piece in a collection of US Military handguns of the 20th Century.

The revolver has a lot of stampings, left side, on it indicating I believe it's year of manufacture, (1902, behind the trigger) inspectors marks (L.E.S. upside down over the grip panel), (J.T.T. above the cylinder latch), (the letter K or X and the last four numbers of the serial on the latch) and such. It appears to be completely functional with a mirror bright bore and chambers. The only defect is the cylinder. It seems to roll freely in the counter clockwise direction by not the clockwise way.

I am curious as to what if any collector value this revolver might have as well as if it might be salvageable as a shooter with moderate .38 Colt ammunition? Any Good revolver smiths out there for the old, old, DA lockwork?

My plans are to put it up till I can add to the collection with various military samples of our nations sidearms. I will try for a photo tomorrow.
    Keep your weapon handy, live free and prosper.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member ffffgdave@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Colt, U.S. Army Model 1901

sadly but seems to be true, the cheapest way to get a gun with every thing you want it right is to buy it that way....the gunsmiths that can work on the old soft colts are far and few between and expensive.. rightfully so, its a lot of work to get something right that is screwwed up by someone else... when you solicite some one to do a job your dealing with his ego, when he does the job your dealing with his profits. so sometimes what was said that will be done will be compromised over the long waiting period for what is profitable, justified by the high prices of staying in buisiness.. .. i dont doubt shop rate is 80 dollars an hour pluss in a lot of towns.. if you cant afford to get health insurance and send your kids to school why do it? sorry about the rambling. put the old stuff in a case,safe, or on the wall, buy new for the range.. just another opinion.. dave

Member LWCmdr45 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I am *not* an expert on these revolvers nor am I entirely sure of what you mean when you say that your cylinder "rolls freely." But, at the risk of stating the obvious, the M1901 cylinder is *designed* to rotate counter-clockwise and not clockwise as is standard on current production Colt revolvers.

I would seek out someone familiar with this design. Check gun shows in your area and see if you might get a referral to a knowedgable local collector so that he might examine your gun for proper operation. Besides, if you're going to be collecting more martial handguns, you'll want to develop some contacts in the field.

Value is *all* about condition! Determine if the condition of your gun is 50%, 80%, whatever, and we can look it up in the Blue Book for you.

Steve

Junior Member FotoTomas is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Steve,

When I say the revolver rolls freeley I am referring to when the action is closed and supposedly the cylinder is locked by the cylinder bolt. The frame appears to have two cylinder bolts with the one on the rear actuated by the trigger to lock the cylinder when firing. With the revolver cocked the cylinder is aligned properly and solid in lockup. The rear bolt is engaged and the front bolt is down.

I am hopeing a good cleaning in the lockwork will solve the problem. I am very familiar with the "D" frame lockwork and think this one with patience can be cleaned out properly.

The finish would be rated by me at 65%. barrel has lost a lot of the blueing but the rest is still there I am no expert myself. The photo I will attach might help you tell easier. (or not )

Serial # is 195XXX

[This message has been edited by FotoTomas (edited 04-09-2003).]
    Keep your weapon handy, live free and prosper.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member LWCmdr45 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

As I said, I ain't no expert and have no personal experience working on this model. Some judicious cleaning *may* help or you may need to seek professional assistance. Obviously, the double bolt design will be different from a D-frame, so exercise caution. (Gunsmiths charge extra for "basket case" repair jobs!)

Approximate dollar values are $400 in 70% condition and $300 in 60% out of the latest Blue Book.

Steve

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads