Colt Forum banner

The Forgotten King

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  centag 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple of nights ago I was going thru a stack of empty gun cases and boxes. Then I found one that was too heavy to be empty. No manufacturer's markings on the outside. To my surprise it was a 4" BST King Cobra that I forgot all about. When it arrived I was busy with other things and only took a quick look. I don't remember posting any pictures but I might have.

These are not the best pictures.

Would I be mistaken to think that a bright stainless KC can be expected to bring about $1,300 on a good day? I saw one on GB about that price but do not recall the details. It did not seem to be as nice. I was thinking more like 1K or a little more.

I am starting to build up a nice starter collection of Colts. I did not expect this to happen. It was, "oh, I'll just get one...everybody ought to have at least one in their collection (as opposed to safe full of the other flavor).

I have been side tracked.

See less See more
#2 ·
If it is indeed a factory bright stainless KC it's worth north of $2k all day long. NIB would improve the value quite a bit but it looks amazing either way! Great "find" LOL

#4 ·
Great looking King Cobra!
It sounds as if you are thinking of selling it. You can ensure getting top dollar in a couple of ways.

(1) If you have the original box showing a serial number and model number that matches the gun, you're golden. Your KC looks like an Enhanced 4" BSTS and the proper model number would be AA3041E. I can't tell if it is drilled and tapped or not. If it is, then the model number would be AA3041EDT.

(2) Pay $75 for a Colt Letter certifying your KC as BSTS. It's a good investment and will more than pay for itself.

There are so many KCs for sale that are highly polished versions of a factory matte stainless finish, that many buyers are extremely wary to buy them without some sort of proof. If you don't have proof that yours is a factory original BSTS KC, then your gun just becomes one of many that a buyer would have to worry about.

Reactions: Colt-SL
#8 ·
Yes Tim, it is the Enhance model. I forgot about that also.

As soon as I can, that letter to Colt will go out. Thanks.

And I am not ready to part with it. I am having my first bout of remorse over a Smith revolver I sold last week and I do not like the feel. It is a little like letting a kid go. Cheese! Whoda thought collecting a few guns would get so emotional. lol

#9 ·
centag, what's the serial number of your KC?
Is it drilled and tapped?

I'm building a serial number database for the King Cobra, so when that Colt Letter arrives, please let us know when and where it was shipped.

Reactions: Two1911's
#10 ·
The Colt Letter would be worth the investment. I personally can never justify paying BSTS prices without the BSTS documentation.

Gun as it sits would easily be worth $1200. A letter would put the gun around $1800-$2200 if it proved it was BSTS

If you had the original box and paperwork plus the letter then the gun would be worth 3K or more

#13 ·
Centag, you musta been a very busy boy to forget about that gem, even for a day. Forgive me, but this is a sure sign of CRS (Can't Remember S**t)! So glad you "stumbled" back onto your treasure before anything unfortunate happened. ;)

Reactions: keystonearms
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.