Took a Chance on a Diamondback
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Took a Chance on a Diamondback

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Thanks for the advice SaintClair! I checked Colt's website and if the serial # is D15782 that would make it a 1968. If it is R15782, then it would be from 1978 (It's hard to tell which from the photo). The stocks make me think it is a 1978, but a couple members seemed to think it was the older model. I look forward to finding out which it is.

I have heard that while the amount of hand-finishing for diamondbacks was less than pythons, some of the early production diamondbacks did have more "TLC" put into them than later ones. Any ideas if that is true?

Member #
    Liked
    323 times
    Hope you get it soon and post your own pics.
    Nice choice!
    Colt
    NRA LIFE Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    705 times
    Very nice Diamondback. Now you need to find a .22 Diamondback to match it.

The grips/stocks look mismatched unless I misread something above - you have a smiley cut panel on one side and a straight cut panel on the other side.

I didn't look at the serial number itself, but looking at the hammer itself would put the serial number as a "D" prefixed serial number with roughly a 1966-1967 manufacture date.

1966 — SN D1001 +
    1967 — SN D2600 +
    1968 — SN D14400 +
    1969 — SN D26500 +

Yes, the hammer on your Diamondback is what they call an HHRP hammer (Hollow Hammer Roll Pin) - this was something Colt was doing in roughly the 1966-1967 time frame, and possibly slightly later. After receiving several comments that the Colt HHRP hammers made the Colt's look like a Smith & Wesson, Colt went back to the less obvious filled in roll pins on the hammer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    304 times
    Had to scratch my head on that one.... thought I was going nutz.

Take a look at the first post.... that is his gun and it seems the grips are a matched set. What's confusing is there are two other pictures in this thread that aren't his gun. Those two have smiley cuts. Yeah... I know.... it's all confusing to me too.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6483 times
    Quote Originally Posted by overhere View Post
    Had to scratch my head on that one.... thought I was going nutz.

Take a look at the first post.... that is his gun and it seems the grips are a matched set. What's confusing is there are two other pictures in this thread that aren't his gun. Those two have smiley cuts. Yeah... I know.... it's all confusing to me too.
    Post #3 is my Diamondback, not to be confused with the OP's Diamondback

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    304 times
    Post #6 is mine.. LOL

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Haha I saw these comments and was thinking "how in the world could I have not seen that the grips were mismatched??" Glad to get that worked out I should be getting the gun in tomorrow and will post my own pictures when I get it. Thanks to your information, I am thinking this is an early Diamondback with newer grips on it. The grips look to be in great condition so I may keep them or try to trade/sell and get some correct ones for it.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11229 times
    I saw a 4" 22 cal DB ANIB today at LGS for $2200. I believe it was in the S serial number range. That is pretty late, isn't it?

Member #
    Liked
    1369 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    I saw a 4" 22 cal DB ANIB today at LGS for $2200. I believe it was in the S serial number range. That is pretty late, isn't it?
    I would think so because I have one of the Custom Shop Coltguard D-backs and its an S serial number range gun.. Has to be in the early 80's since thats when they did the Coltguard finish.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    705 times
    The biggest part of the "S" serial numbers are mid production with some chaotic scatterings of "S" serial numbers in some of the later years.

1979 — >S01001
    1980 — S27029
    1981 — S62978-S88000,

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links