Took a Chance on a Diamondback
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Took a Chance on a Diamondback

Member #
    Liked
    38 times

Took a Chance on a Diamondback

Hello everyone, this will be my first post on the forums, and thank you in advance for your knowledge and advice!

I have always appreciated Colt's quality and craftsmanship, and have wanted to get one of their snake guns for quite a while now. I am not a collector, but despite the high prices, the python and diamondback in particular are appealing to me, because of their history, reputation, and awesome appearance.

Recently, I purchased a 4" .38 diamondback I saw listed online. Now, I haven't purchased a gun online before, so despite the seller's positive rating and the photos of the gun, I knew I was taking something of a risk. But for it's appearance and the price I could not pass it up (I paid $1100- only wear I can see are some small scratches on the trigger guard). But I want to get your opinion! Was this a good buy? Does everything look correct on this diamondback?
    I will post some of the seller's photos and put my own up when the gun comes in!
    1.jpg4.jpg8.jpg6.jpg9.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Waste of your money. People in the know only spend their money on Pre War Colts. So its not a complete loss I will give ya $500 to get you out of your hole.

I kid I kid. From what I can see it looks nice, and 1100 is a good price for a Dback today. Cheapest I have seen for sale is $1450 in an LGS, though I haven't really been trolling online for any.

You should be happy with it.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6494 times
    The trigger guard "scratches" appear more like road rash. The 1st picture indicates pitting on the frame but the quality of the picture is iffy at best. Can't see the left side VP on the trigger guard. Truthfully? An evaluation is sketchy given the seller's pictures and lighting and lack of close ups of the sideplate screw, left side barrel marking showing a clean rollmark of the "Diamondback". Here's a '78 unmolested owned by me.

One picture only as it arrived to me before cleaning.

1978 Colt Diamondback (1024x575).jpg
    ColtStar likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    Looks pretty clean to me. Don't see any barrel or front cylinder wear on that 1968 model..

I paid 200 more for a '77 in about the same shape.

Oh yeah... Welcome aboard
    ColtStar likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    I'll include a few more of the seller's pictures. It is hard to see some of the details but hopefully these help. Even if there is more wear to the gun than I can see, my thought was it was still a fair price. I did think the grips might be incorrect as I thought the serial # started with D...but it could also be an R. Hard to tell

ColtStar and ussmanlovede36 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    You may be correct on the grips. My '77 has the smiley and you have the straight cut under the medallion. We both may have the wrong date. I'm not a grip expert by any means but I think we need to switch!

Diamondback <<- Click here

What I do know is... one of the older fellas will be here soon to tell us what is right.

P1060031 (1024x768).jpg

Member #
    Liked
    3006 times
    I 'think' that font style on the right side of the barrel and the use of of a roll pin on the hammer both pre-date the use of the straight line stocks. The light colored wood is also indicative of later production I believe.

The shade of blue on the barrel doesn't match the rest of the gun, but that isn't unheard of with blued Dbacks. Barrel could be original, or could be a replacement.
    Last edited by weagle99; 01-21-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Wow, that's a lot of good information. Thanks! Now I'm really wanting to get this gun in and examine everything (determine if the stocks are correct or replaced- if the barrel is original or replaced- and of course if it functions as it should). Like I mentioned, I am not a collector, so I won't lose sleep if something isn't original, but it will be nice to know

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    See what I mean... this place is crawling with old ghostly spirits.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12413 times
    Sometimes the direction of polishing on the barrel versus on the frame of a gun will result in a difference
    appearance in some types of lighting.
    I would not be too concerned about that difference until you get it in and look at it in different lights (outside
    on a bright overcast day is best).
    If you do find those grips are not exactly right for the age of the gun, they probably will still have a similar
    value. If you find you need earlier grips, offer a trade in the 'Want to trade' section of the Forum.
    A price of $1100 is about what I would expect to pay for such a DB if it were for sale at a local gun store.

Welcome to the Forum!!
    If that does not work, try to sell them in the 'want to sell' section and use that money to buy the ones
    that you need from another member or on Ebay.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links