Colt Forum banner

It lettered .

3K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  coltsixguns 
#1 · (Edited)
Some were skeptical but I had a feeling it would .

First I want to say "Thank You !" ... to Paul and Bev at Colt Archive Services . :)

The value of their contributions to Colt collectors cannot be measured by the cost of a letter . The historical value by adding official provenance to our firearms to me is immeasurable .

Sorry for the photo quality .

Factory inscribed award gun "1961 NRA National .45 Caliber Pistol Champion" .

October 1961 "American Rifleman" .

See less See more
#4 ·
Just a great find. And thanks for sharing the gun and story.

#15 ·
The NRA magazine photos shows the winner mentioned in my 2nd photo . I would assume that SFC Blankenship having reached this level of marksmanship had a pile of awards . While a beautiful pistol , the award gun would most likely never match up to his competition grade pistols . Possibly he kept it and an heir sold it or possibly he sold it to put a nice wad of cash in his pocket . Either way , someone has enjoyed it . It's definitely been fired ... and will be again ;)

A big thank you to bofg for posting the photo !

Also thank you all for the congratulatory messages .

Reactions: WVCOLT
#12 ·
Mitch,
What a great pistol!
Having served in the Army, I met a lot of guys who probably once they figured out how much it would have cost to have it engraved, would have said no way. On the other hand, not sure why his unit would not have chipped in and had it done for him.
Beautiful piece!
Kim

#18 ·
:two thumbs up: Isn't it interesting how dated the magazine photos, rifles and shooters appear, yet the 1911 looks as contemporary as if it had shipped yesterday? Amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.