Colt Forum banner

Government 45 from 1919 in Box

8K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  Mikecp 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently picked this one up.

See less See more
#31 ·
I really don't think the "skin" is right on that box, either. Compare it to the bottom of Rich's box. Look how far and uniform the skin comes over the bottom on his box and compare that to your box. Something there just doesn't look right. I think there may be more wrong than just the labels.

I'm confident there are guys who have made a study of commercial Colt boxes and could probably tell you more than I can. But I have looked at a lot of Colt boxes over the years, and while I may not always immediately identify exactly what's wrong, I usually do know when something doesn't look right.

#38 ·
I am use to tough crowds.. It is interesting read seeing everyone's opinion on the box.. My question was how many Government Model M1911 pistols were shipped in 1919 in comparison to US Property 1911 pistols of the sale year.. Yeah, I am interested in learning about this and knowing if this is an uncommon gun… The box fake or real is not all that interesting… The gun on the other hand…

#39 · (Edited)
Trying to contribute to the knowledge,---is sometimes difficult!? (Just like the hardware,---it is what it is.)

ssgunnip,

Back to the pistol,---what is the serial number? Looks like C 120728?

BTW, that left side roll stamp is hard to find on the GM side. (An old collector/researcher estimated there might be less than 5000 of these GM slides.??)

Best Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.