Colt Forum banner

Help with verifying originality of WWI 1911

923 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  kriegsmarine 
#1 ·
I have been eyeing this gun on our local gun board and am very tempted to go for it, but not being a Coltie and only recently dabbling in them I thought I would ask for opinions. The seller says it was made in 1917 and has all it's original parts except for a replacement barrel, mag and grips and is asking 1450. I am attaching what pictures the seller has provided. What do you all think, is it as original as he is describing and priced reasonably? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
In addition to the barrel being a type 18 when it should be a type 4, the slide looks incorrect also. Serial 158XXX should still have Roman lettering. Look at the lettering on "United States Property" (it is Roman font). The font on the slide should match this but instead it is Gothic. This indicates the slide is newer than the frame.

To me, this is a FrankenColt. Probably in the $600-$800 range.

#4 · (Edited)
The finish is blotchy cold blue, too. Doesn't add up to anything but a refinished, mismatched shooter. For $600-700, you can buy a brand new, lifetime warranted pistol that will shoot just as well, and give years of good service.

Edit: Typing the same time Johnny was. Sounds like an echo. BTW, Moralem, you did good asking before you bought. A lot of people ask questions too late.

#7 ·
Ditto..... $600 - $800 all day. If you have the $1400 to spend, you'll have no problem finding a correct one. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.