+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member goColt is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Custom Combat 10 - pics added

Just picked up one with a serial number under 90!! From what I have read only 425 were made in '88.

It's in pretty good shape, some discoloration of the finish but other than that is fine, just dirty as heck and needs a good cleaning. Which leads me to my question:

I did some research and from what I can tell these were electroless nickel plated. Anyone know if that is true?

If so, to clean it is no different than any other finish from what I understand. Any other suggestions to try and cleanup the finish? I've not had an electroless finished gun before.

As soon as I get it cleaned up, will post pics.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
    "Go into the village opposite you, and immediately on entering it, you will find a Colt bring it here. If anyone should say to you, 'Why are you doing this?' reply, 'The Master has need of it..." Lk 19: 30-31.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member paul45 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    65 times

Re: Custom Combat 10

Correct....nickel. I would not use harsh solvents on nickel as it can eat away at the underlying copper plating....(I think it's copper).

I have used good ole hot water, soap, and a toothbrush on nickel before and have been pleased.
    I prefer Colts.....Semper Fi

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Custom Combat 10 - pics added

OK, I haven't found out too much more info, nor have I cleaned it yet but I did take some pics.

Excuse my poor photography and the filthiness of the pistol:

Custom Combat 1

Custom Combat 2

Custom Combat 3
    "Go into the village opposite you, and immediately on entering it, you will find a Colt bring it here. If anyone should say to you, 'Why are you doing this?' reply, 'The Master has need of it..." Lk 19: 30-31.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member skipsan is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

A local 1911 gunsmith advised me that a very light bead blast would clean up an electroless nickle finish back to near-new. Took him at his word and he has the gun now. Mine was/is in considerably worse condition than yours appears to be, but none of the finish blemishes penetrated into the copper flashing. His charge will be about $70. The gun is a '78 Combat Commander.

Senior Member LARRYSTARLING is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

[ QUOTE ]
    Correct....nickel. I would not use harsh solvents on nickel as it can eat away at the underlying copper plating....(I think it's copper).

I have used good ole hot water, soap, and a toothbrush on nickel before and have been pleased.

[/ QUOTE ]
    And believe it or not toothpaste works great on brightening up nickel.
    "Invest in quality, Buy Colt's"

Junior Member GoodToGo is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I do not know how accurate my research is. I think maybe yours falls under item 10.
    The list is by no means true to fact. It is just a copy I update as I see or read more about these Deltas.
    It seems with all the different Delta 10 MM someone would be able to give a more accomplished list than my novice notes.

Colt Delta Elite
    1987 to 1996

Pre Enhanced and Enhanced
    Enhanced had:
    1. Under cut trigger guard
    2. Down turned Beavertail grip safety
    3. Skeltonized hammer
    4. Angle slide serrations
    5. Flattened top of slide

Types of Delta’s

1. Delta Elite the first 500 guns of this model were called the Delta Elite First Edition featured laser engraving with gold fill, smooth wood grips and a presentation case. 1985
    2. Delta Elite 1987-96
    3. Delta Elite Stainless Steel 1989-96 the first 1,000 guns of this model were called Delta Elite First Edition and featured stamped lettering on slide, ebony grips
    4. Gold Cup Delta Elite , a Target version, adjustable rear sights
    5. GCDE was a Colt and Clark Custom collaboration had Clark Custom on slide came with walnut box velvet lined, accuracy weld around dust cover to keep slide stop to minimum, Slide and frame were fit, FL guide rod
    6. Match 10 serial # MTENXXXX 1989 less than a 1000 made
    7. Combat Delta 10
    8. Ultra 10
    9. Combat Elite 10/40 came with 2 barrels, 4 Mags, 2 guide rods, 3 dot sights, commander hammer, different sets of springs Blue Slide and SS frame, smooth wood grips, Gold tone colt panels, less then 100 made
    10. Colt Custom 10 1000 in SS were made serial #10SS0001 to 10SS1000
    11. Elite 10 (depletion Era) Last ones made, Slide was Royal blue and Frame was Polished SS Ambi safety, beavertail, commander hammer and dot sights,
    12. Delta 10 by Lew Horton made in 1998, all were Stainless Steel lightly Bead blasted, 100 made.
    13. Colt Custom Shop Limited Edition of 500 serial # GCTEN001 to GCTEN500 Colt Gold Cup Ten on left side, Gold Cup Nation Match on right side all Stainless
    Steve

Senior Member LARRYSTARLING is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

[ QUOTE ]
    I do not know how accurate my research is. I think maybe yours falls under item 10.
    The list is by no means true to fact. It is just a copy I update as I see or read more about these Deltas.
    It seems with all the different Delta 10 MM someone would be able to give a more accomplished list than my novice notes.

Colt Delta Elite
    1987 to 1996

Pre Enhanced and Enhanced
    Enhanced had:
    1. Under cut trigger guard
    2. Down turned Beavertail grip safety
    3. Skeltonized hammer
    4. Angle slide serrations
    5. Flattened top of slide

Types of Delta’s

1. Delta Elite the first 500 guns of this model were called the Delta Elite First Edition featured laser engraving with gold fill, smooth wood grips and a presentation case. 1985
    2. Delta Elite 1987-96
    3. Delta Elite Stainless Steel 1989-96 the first 1,000 guns of this model were called Delta Elite First Edition and featured stamped lettering on slide, ebony grips
    4. Gold Cup Delta Elite , a Target version, adjustable rear sights
    5. GCDE was a Colt and Clark Custom collaboration had Clark Custom on slide came with walnut box velvet lined, accuracy weld around dust cover to keep slide stop to minimum, Slide and frame were fit, FL guide rod
    6. Match 10 serial # MTENXXXX 1989 less than a 1000 made
    7. Combat Delta 10
    8. Ultra 10
    9. Combat Elite 10/40 came with 2 barrels, 4 Mags, 2 guide rods, 3 dot sights, commander hammer, different sets of springs Blue Slide and SS frame, smooth wood grips, Gold tone colt panels, less then 100 made
    10. Colt Custom 10 1000 in SS were made serial #10SS0001 to 10SS1000
    11. Elite 10 (depletion Era) Last ones made, Slide was Royal blue and Frame was Polished SS Ambi safety, beavertail, commander hammer and dot sights,
    12. Delta 10 by Lew Horton made in 1998, all were Stainless Steel lightly Bead blasted, 100 made.
    13. Colt Custom Shop Limited Edition of 500 serial # GCTEN001 to GCTEN500 Colt Gold Cup Ten on left side, Gold Cup Nation Match on right side all Stainless

[/ QUOTE ]
    I got three off your list.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Invest in quality, Buy Colt's"

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I've seen that on other forums. So, I went down to the local dollar store and picked of some regular old, plain, run-of-the-mill toothpaste. I didn't want to use the tarter-control stuff or the peroxide/bleaching stuff, just in case it isn't good for nickel. It may be foolish, but why risk it?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the info. Not sure where mine falls into place but I don't think it's under item 10 due to it not being stainless (from what I've read) and it not being a true Delta, even though it has the Delta grips. It doesn't say 'DELTA' anywhere on the gun that I can see. Just "COLT CUSTOM COMBAT 10" on the left and "GOVERNMENT MODEL" on the right under the ejection port. Also, the serial number is 10MM-0xx.

I called Colt and talked to Paul in cust svc. He couldn't give me any information on it, not even the finish. He said I'd have to have the archive dept do a letter on it. I may eventually do that.

Junior Member GoodToGo is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

GoColt,
    Maybe number 7 on the list.
    Steve

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads