Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Magazine for Service Model ACE

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Magazine for Service Model ACE

Hi,

have a Service Model ACE S/N SM14260 which I bought fairly cheap with one mag, no box, no paperwork.

A gunsmith put in a longer trigger and a pair of stocks. Of course the original parts are still here. Also have spare firing pin, extractor and two extra #2 slide stops, just in case ...

Now and then I use the pistol on the range. It works reliable, but isn't very precise (compared to Woodsman, or S&W 41 or K22 or 17).

What I'm missing are some more magazines. Most the stuff I tried here didn't fit or didn't work.

Which aftermarket magazine works in your experience?

Thnx

DSCI1151.jpgDSCI1150.jpg
    Last edited by BSE1911; 08-28-2016 at 07:59 AM.
    ei8ht, ponyup, stan3 and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2012 times
    Go to eBay and see what's listed. I'd buy one similar to the one you have. The later style are okay too but;
    The aftermarket ones are iffy and the more recent Colt/Metalform ones don't work. The off brand conversion unit makers stopped using them.

FWIW: The GSG M1911-22 magazine seems to work
    Last edited by kenhwind; 08-28-2016 at 03:47 PM.
    ei8ht and ponyup like this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    695 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BSE1911 View Post
    Hi,

have a Service Model ACE S/N SM14260 which I bought fairly cheap with one mag, no box, no paperwork

What I'm missing are some more magazines. Most the stuff I tried here didn't fit or didn't work.

Which aftermarket magazine works in your experience?

Thnx
    BSE1911,

If you cannot find reliable aftermarket,---all steel Colt SM Ace mags should work.

Best Regards,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bczadnm, ponyup and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2012 times
    Being in Germany I'd try the GSG M1911-22 magazine.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Ken

Member #
    Liked
    1432 times
    BSE1911, I want to pass some information on to you about your "ACE".
    I very much like those things, and the .22 conversions as well. Some day, I will maybe have one !

It is a simple thing, but I want to make sure my post does NOT come across as "know-it-all", and in a condescending manner.

It has to do with the names of your list of "spare parts"....Very commendable to have; but, there is no "extractor" used, or necessary in the Colt Ace and conversions.
    The little "flat springy thing", thought to be an "extractor", is actually the "ejector". The "extraction" function is accomplished by the "floating chamber".

As the old time country folks used to say: "hit don't make no never mind, no how", (though probably not said in Germany); I thought perhaps you would like to know.
    bczadnm, ei8ht, LEO918 and 1 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    587 times
    I have a near mint that I shoot infrequently and certainly they are not famous for accuracy, but they sure are fun if you keep that floating chamber/barrel interface scrupulously clean! I was able to find a spare Mag new in the packaging a few years ago by continually searching the Internet. They are out there, but you have to be prepared for a lot of folks who think they are made of platinum. Keep looking!
    ponyup, LEO918 and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2012 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyup View Post
    I very much like those things, and the .22 conversions as well. Some day, I will maybe have one !

It is a simple thing, but I want to make sure my post does NOT come across as"know-it-all", and in a condescending manner.

It has to do with the names of your list of "spare parts"....Very commendable to have; but, there is no "extractor" used, or necessary in the Colt Ace and conversions.
    The little "flat springy thing", thought to be an "extractor", is actually the "ejector". The "extraction" function is accomplished by the "floating chamber".

As the old time country folks used to say: "hit don't make no never mind, no how", (though probably not said in Germany); I thought perhaps you would like to know.
    The Service Model ACE and Conversion Unit uses an extractor in the same manner as the 1911, and there is one laying there next to the ejector.
    ponyup, ei8ht and oldCop like this.
    Ken

Member #
    Liked
    2012 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyup View Post

It is a simple thing, but I want to make sure my post does NOT come across as"know-it-all", and in a condescending manner.

The Service Model ACE and Conversion Unit uses an extractor in the same manner as the 1911, and there is one laying there next to the ejector.
    ponyup and ei8ht like this.
    Ken

Member #
    Liked
    1432 times
    [QUOTE=BSE1911;1114465]Hi,

Also have spare firing pin, extractor and two extra #2 slide stops, just in case ...
    Lord knows I hate to post wrong information here, but Kenwind is correct. The Ace and conversion units do have a slide fitted extractor.

Without enlarging O P's picture, I took his comments to mean he was showing an "extractor", and a firing pin, as his spares, and referring to his "ejector" as the extractor.
    After Kenwind pointed out my mistake, I enlarged the picture, and certainly there is an extractor lying by the ejector. I don't know about a "spare" firing pin.
    Last edited by ponyup; 08-28-2016 at 11:12 PM.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    My mistake : of course there are spare ejector and extractor shown on the pic. Don't know how I it came to state the firing pin.
    ponyup likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links