+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Member mward58 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

New to me colt 1903-Ammunition question

I've been looking for a Colt 1903 for quite sometime. Ran across one last night and I bought it for $339 bucks. In pretty good shape on the outside with some pitting. Grips are excellent and bore and other internal parts are great after I used some Butch's Bore shine and worked on her for about half an hour. Look's like the gun has not seen much action in recent years.

I have some S and B 32 ACP ammo left over from a Beretta Tomcat I traded. Would you see any problem with using the hotter European stuff like S and B?

Also, please tell me about your experiences with the 1903 including ammo that has worked well, hasn't worked well, etc. Also if there are any tips a rookie on old Colt semi autos should be aware of. I look forward to reading your comments!

Thought I'd add a pic:
    Last edited by mward58; 02-22-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: adding pic

Senior Member Kid Sopris will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    891 times
    Like any old gun, I would stick with standard velocity ammo. Remember that your springs are as old as the gun...Higher velocity ammo may speed up the aging process. JMO.

Member strangms is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have a 1903 that I picked up not too long ago and have been using
    Winchester ammo and have not had any problems with it. Magtech also makes 32 ACP. I have not used any of their 32 ACP, but have used their 45 ACP with no problems.
    I have heard that the S&B ammo is a little "Hotter", then the American ammo.

strangms

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sopris View Post
    Like any old gun, I would stick with standard velocity ammo. Remember that your springs are as old as the gun...Higher velocity ammo may speed up the aging process. JMO.
    Thanks Kid! What do you usually shoot out of yours? I bought some S and B 73 gr and found out the muzzle energy was in excess of what Beretta recommended (130 ft lbs) for the Tomcat so I stopped using it. S and B is rated at 177 ft lbs of muzzle energy. I was hoping I could sparingly use it in the Colt and use it up. I was thinking maybe 16 rounds per range visit. My Colt was manufactured in 1919 and the internals look solid.

I'm just looking for what others have experienced and if they have used similar loads to the S and B. The muzzle velocity is 1,043 fps. Once I use up the 80 rounds I have left of the S and B then I was thinking of switching to Aguila or FMJ Eagle. The Aguila and Eagle are similar at 71 gr, 905 fps and 129 ft lbs.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by strangms View Post
    I have a 1903 that I picked up not too long ago and have been using
    Winchester ammo and have not had any problems with it. Magtech also makes 32 ACP. I have not used any of their 32 ACP, but have used their 45 ACP with no problems.
    I have heard that the S&B ammo is a little "Hotter", then the American ammo.

strangms
    Thanks for your input. I have some magtech also. The numbers on that is similar to Winchester white box and Eagle.

Senior Member Kid Sopris will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    891 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mward58 View Post
    Thanks Kid! What do you usually shoot out of yours? ...

I have a tendency to stay with the Winchester and Remington. For plinking I have used the Remington UMC (green and white box) 71 gr. MCL32AP, without any problems...

I don't reload for this caliber as I don't shoot it enough to warrant the additional expense of dies, etc. Consequently I have some once fired Remington brass to get rid of as well.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sopris View Post
    I have a tendency to stay with the Winchester and Remington. For plinking I have used the Remington UMC (green and white box) 71 gr. MCL32AP, without any problems...

I don't reload for this caliber as I don't shoot it enough to warrant the additional expense of dies, etc. Consequently I have some once fired Remington brass to get rid of as well.
    Thanks Kid,
    I think I will not shoot the S and B and stick with the US stuff. I will have to sell the S and b to someone at my gun club

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thought I'd add a pic

Senior Member rhtwist is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Nice picture. You might want to get replacement recoil spring from Wolff and I too would suggest sticking to regular velocity loads. I have used the reportedly hotter Fiocchi but noticed some slight battering with the new springs. YMMV
    rhtwist

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rhtwist View Post
    Nice picture. You might want to get replacement recoil spring from Wolff and I too would suggest sticking to regular velocity loads. I have used the reportedly hotter Fiocchi but noticed some slight battering with the new springs. YMMV
    rhtwist
    Thanks- I think I am better off staying with 71 gr. I shot 50 rounds of magtech, 71 gr, 129 ft lbs muzzle energy and it shot amazingly well for a 90 year old pistol. The insides, including the springs, look much better than 90 percent of the newer used pistols. The springs look like they have not seen much use.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads