Truth about the Delta Elite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Truth about the Delta Elite

Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    Longhorn, I don't know, Colt folks seem to obsess over resale value more than any other 1911 type shooter/owners FWIW, I did own and operate a Delta. Never blew anything up, but that unsupported brass hanging out over the feed ramp was concerning to me. Concerning enough, that I had a ramped barrel installed. Only thing that saves the Deltas is the, fortunately, robust construction of the 10MM case head. I think that new Delta is a great looking gun, and I've been tempted. But if I bought one, I'd once again have the frame machined and a ramped/supported barrel installed. BTW, I had a Kimber 10MM too. Given a choice of both guns at similar prices, I would go with the Kimber due to the very well supported chamber,etc.......ymmv
    Longhorn1986 and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    After 25 + years of shooting My own 10MM 1100-1200 FPS reloads in a early Colt Delta with the milling cut at the slide stop hole.

I'll agree the supported chambers are probably safer, but I have no reason to doubt the design of the original Colt DE barrel............

I have witnessed one guy who got himself into trouble with hot loads in his 45 ACP, after "polishing" his feed ramp..........Yeah, it got his attention, AND mine ........

His grip panels split, the mag blew out the bottom, and he bled a little bit .............but he was a whole lot smarter when the smoke cleared!......He was Lucky, but doesn't tell of the experience too often.........

All things have a Max achievable ceiling, but just how much do you want to push any of your loads?....................

My Logic says I'm using the wrong pistol/ammo/caliber if I can't do the job with a 185 Gr or 200 Gr bullet @ 1100 or 1200 FPS..........

Now, most of what I load and shoot is cast lead SWC's, but my Jacketed ammo is loaded to operate at the same velocity.

Re: Brass........I can't recall ever splitting a 10MM case...................they seem to run forever, like 45ACP's............

Re: Buffalo Bore and the other "Boutique" ammo............I was given some BB .380 ammo that took a guy's little Ruger apart...........It sits on my bench as a testament to a bad idea....Again, if the ammo needs to be hotter, then maybe you should use a larger caliber?

Tom
    Last edited by Tomray; 04-20-2017 at 05:38 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    4509 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomray View Post
    ...if the ammo needs to be hotter, then maybe you should use a larger caliber?
    One of the more profound observations I've seen regarding ammunition choices.
    ei8ht likes this.
    It was me...I shot Liberty Valance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

SBH

Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    I have an early DE and I haven't had any problems in 30 years. I shoot regurlar 10mm loads out of the Hornady manual. I'd like the new XE Delta but mine works. fwiw

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times
    Hello everyone, I am a big fan of the 10mm and I figure to put my 2 cents in this topic. I have 3 DE's and none of them have any issues except with mags hanging up on the second to the last round. Only one of them does this I will have to tweek it later. I also have a Dan Wesson Silver Back which is great as well. I thought of purchasing the SIG since I am a fan but only of the German mfg. I went to my local place and I saw 2 that were in the used section so I asked a friend about it and he stated for some reason they can't shoot well. He didn't understand why but he took one home to see if it was the shooter not the gun. A week later I saw him once again and asked how he made out and he stated the SIG wouldn't group at all at 20 Yards. So I left it behind and mind you it was priced nice at $850. Now, the ammo I shoot are all factory no reloads have been digested in my guns. I don't want to push the envelope since that is how problems begin and frankly when I order 5 drinks in a bar I like to use all my fingers.
    ei8ht likes this.
    "In Africa, the saying goes, 'In the bush, an Elephant can kill you, a leopard can kill you, and a Black Mamba can kill you. But only with the Mamba is death sure.'Hence its handle, 'Death Incarnate." -Kill Bill vol 2 (Tarantino,2004)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    I asked this myself about a year ago maybe and heard pros/cons for the Delta. I am a Colt person first for sure, but my research led me to the Sig P220 in 10mm. I got the Elite with stainless frame and wood grips. I love that gun and now I love that caliber. It shoots so well even with the hotter loads and the kick isn't bad at all for such a stout firearm. It's my only Sig and I love it. Absolutely stunning gun that everyone wants to shoot when they see it. I don't have a Delta Elite yet, but since I love the caliber, may get one eventually. Still have other things on my list ahead of another 10mm right now.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    Owning three (Colt, Glock and Sig) of the four mentioned in this thread, I feel I can comment. The Colt is what everyone else says - a fine gun with standard loads. Is there a better gun in 10mm? Heck yes. The Glock is what all Glocks are - big, ugly, blocky, stuffed full of ammunition (almost double the capacity) and they work all the time. That said, they don't float my boat. The Sig P220 in 10mm is likely the finest 10mm made right now. My stainless two tone model is made to the highest quality, has that often argued about supported chamber, functions 100% and puts the rounds where I want them. It's a "refined combat pistol". If I could only keep one of the 10's, this would be the one. That's just me though...
    Stevez and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    524 times
    I love my Delta Elites. I've had no problems with any load that I've used. I rented a Glock 40 a few weeks ago and thought it (the Glock)had a little softer recoil. Underwood no longer has a warning on shooting their product through the Delta.

Here's mine :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Berhati-hati di ruang platform.

Member #
    Liked
    1054 times
    If you are into 10mm then there is also lots of good info on the 10mm forum.

10mm-firearms.com - Index
    NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    491 times
    The 10mm pistol and ammunition discussions are interesting. I have enjoyed my 10mm Colt ownership since somewhere in the vicinity of 1993. I see the primary purpose of any centerfire handgun as a self defense tool. I see a secondary purpose in recreational shooting activity (RSA). RSA includes pistol competition.

Defense of self and/or others as well of competition share something in common. In my opinion, the shared aspect can be stated as shot placement counts. Speed is important as well. I am reminded of the axiom of you can not miss fast enough to win.

In my view, power ranges from a line drawn between inadequate and adequate to a point of diminishing returns. I characterize surpassing the point of diminishing returns as over powered.

In self defense duty, the combination of shot placement and adequate penetration are requisites. While one will certainly want to end a fight as quickly as possible; speed is a variable or wild card.

Now comes the 10mm. I will not concern myself with a ramped barrel vs conventional barrel debate. I use nothing more powerful than moderate power 10mm factory ammunition. I prefer the lower end of power in 10mm. Sadly, in my view, the lower end of power in JHP is not available any longer.

I prefer the 1911 in 10mm for the all steel construction, superior trigger and the manual external safety. I do not see my 10mm pistol and ammunition choices as any kind of compromise.
    Tomray likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links