Truth about the Delta Elite
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Truth about the Delta Elite

Member #
    Liked
    136 times

Truth about the Delta Elite

Lately, I've had the 10mm itch and I've eyeing both the Delta Elite and the Sig Tacops 1911. There seems to be concern amongst some people that the DE may not be able to handle the higher power end of the 10mm spectrum due to the lack of case support, an issue that I haven't heard of with the Sig. I'm trying to determine what's fact and what's bovine fecal matter. I realize this being a Colt board, the bias will likely be towards Hartford as opposed to the Fatherland.

Of course, quality, durability and "shootability" are all important considerations as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Get off my lawn!

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I have two Colt Delta Elites. I often carry one with one spare magazine in urban areas with law enforcement help minutes away. I prefer the Winchester Silvertip 175 grain 10mm ammo in the Delta Elite. I have a Glock G40 with the six inch barrel for carry in the boonies or woods. I carry two or more spare fifteen round magazines for it loaded with the hottest Buffalo Bore or Underwood 10mm ammo.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired

Member #
    Liked
    2340 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhorn1986 View Post
    Lately, I've had the 10mm itch and I've eyeing both the Delta Elite and the Sig Tacops 1911. There seems to be concern amongst some people that the DE may not be able to handle the higher power end of the 10mm spectrum due to the lack of case support, an issue that I haven't heard of with the Sig. I'm trying to determine what's fact and what's bovine fecal matter. I realize this being a Colt board, the bias will likely be towards Hartford as opposed to the Fatherland.

Of course, quality, durability and "shootability" are all important considerations as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    While the fully supported chamber is a plus, I believe the so-called problems with an unsupported one to be over stated.
    ei8ht and Tomray like this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhwind View Post
    While the fully supported chamber is a plus, I believe the so-called problems with an unsupported one to be over stated.
    Kind of what I'm thinking. Not unlike the MIM hysteria with Kimbers. I have two of them and they work great.
    LEO918 and ei8ht like this.
    Get off my lawn!

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I think the bad press for DEs comes from two things:

1) The very early ones still had a bit of rail over the slide stop hole. The little rail section would crack with use and people would send them in for repairs. The cracks weren't actually a problem but no cracking is good for reputation so Colt machined the entire hole without the rail section and solved the "problem".

2) The unsupported chamber. From what I have read, this may only be a problem if you're going to shoot a lot of hot hand loads. Generally any factory ammo made to SAAMI specs is fine in a DE.
    ei8ht, Tomray and kenhwind like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5178 times
    The Delta is a fine pistol. I'm not knocking Sig in any way...they make fine pistols. I'm hoping to get one of the new improved Deltas and maybe sell the one I have...I like the upgrades Colt has added to it.

I'm sure either pistol will serve you well but I'm partial to the Colt as most of us will be.
    colt03, ei8ht and Tomray like this.
    It was me...I shot Liberty Valance.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've debated about this as well. I have a S&W 1076 and love it's robustness. The elegance of the Delta just makes me want one so bad but I wonder if I can shoot hot 10's out of it?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1133 times
    Buy the Delta Elite. It will hold it's value - the Sig not so much.
    Last edited by LEO918; 04-19-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    Living a dream.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    I am one who got careless and loaded up a mag of hot 10mm loads in my Delta. And it did not like them. The second round in the mag blew the mag out the bottom and cracked the stocks. Luckily no damage to gun otherwise or shooter. I did not intentionally load up the hot stuff (Buffalo Bore), just had a few moments of lack of focus.

Like LimaCharlie I reserve the hot loads for my Glock.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Holding value is not a big consideration. I'm not one for safe queens. Durable and reliable are my concerns, but for various reasons, a Glock is not something that would work for me.

A third choice might be another Kimber. I just wanted a change of pace. Always wanted a Colt 1911, but considering the Sig is one of the top choices for the DPS SWAT team and the Rangers, I'm thinking someone in Austin might know something.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Get off my lawn!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links