Colt Forum banner

$25,000 Singer

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  colt_thompson 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Refinished or not, you don't find these available very often. Still...too rich for my blood.

Reactions: Colt-SL and ei8ht
#8 · (Edited)
Despite the feelings of many here on the Forum, Refinished firearms * are gaining more acceptance. otherwise, places like Turnbulls would not be in business. Americans, as a whole, are about the only culture that seems to snub the concept of refinished firearms.

Notwithstanding, I can't afford $25,000.00 anyway...

PS, better qualify my answer by saying ,* "When Properly and expertly done" and not Bubbafied.

#14 ·
Here's a comparison of the roll marks with a known real Singer from Sam Liskers site

I have ZERO experience with Singers, and very minimal knowledge when it comes to the finer details on 1911s (and what I say here may have been discussed on the 1911 site -- which I haven't read), but in terms of refinishing and "anomalies":

Looking at the amount of metal loss indicated at the slide serrations, I would have expected the Singer roll mark -- if it had been there before refinishing -- to have been nearly completely eliminated.

Also, when looking at the seller's picture #22 on GunBroker, showing a "P" stamped on the top of the slide just forward of the rear site, one can clearly see metal flow from the stamping. This metal flow is inconsistent with the heavy buffing seen elsewhere on the slide -- indicating that "P" was likely stamped sometime during or after the refinishing work.

Again, I have extremely limited knowledge on the subject of Singer 1911s, but my general knowledge about firearms leaves me highly suspicious that there is deception involved with this one. I can see where it would be too difficult for someone to try to fake an original finish, but they would have more "leeway" to try to hide small anomalies if they manufacture a "refinished" one.

#13 ·
This was discussed in great detail on the 1911 site.

Just looking at the pics in post #11, you can plainly see that the rollmark, slidestop checkering
and slide serrations are not the same. The 1911 guys even discussed the overall contours of
the frame and slide saying that they are not original.

IMHO, this is very likely a "put together" piece and not a professional restoration. Somebody
over on the other site was going to do a serial number check vs. known Singers. I don't know
if that's happened yet or not.

#15 ·
I should include that I'm not suggesting the seller is engaged in deception when I say I'm suspicious that "there is deception involved with this one." It looks like the seller has very good feedback. With his currently-listed items, I see no collectable firearms, so I'd wonder about why he is the one selling this. Did someone specifically choose him to list this because he may not have the experience to evaluate it the same way a more collector-focused FFL might? Essentially, I'm wondering if the seller could be being "used."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.