Colt Forum banner

A problem with my Colt Mustang

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  SilentRider 
#1 ·
I need some help diagnosing the issue I am having with my Colt Mustang 380 pistol. I really like the pistol but I am having chronic jamming issues. I shot another box of 50 rounds today and the problems continue. Today, 6 spent rounds failed to eject successfully. 6 out of 50. I've run about 200 rounds through it since I bought it brand new at my local gun store this year and this problem has existed since the first rounds were fired through it. I've switched the magazines thinking one might have a defect. I've concentrated on my grip, especially today, making sure I am grasping it firmly (no limp wrist). I keep the gun clean. None of this seems to have an effect.
At todays range session, I took 3 pics of the type problem I am having. Sorry for the poor pics but it is hard to focus the camera in the low light at the indoor range.
I really want to make this pistol work for me but I can't afford for it to go out of service like this as I use it for my concealed carry. I like the size and I like the trigger plus I am pretty darn accurate with it.

Any thoughts on how to cure this problem?

Thanks!

Kim

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Based upon what I can see, you have an ejector problem. I would call Colt CS to get their response and what their quoted wait time might be for a repair. If too long, then either bite the bullet and have a qualified gunsmith fix it, or try tuning it yourself, if that's an option you would try. There are some pretty good You tube videos on adjusting an ejector.

#4 ·
If you can, Kim, get a photo of your ejector for us. With the slide open, the little hook you see should be clear of brass or powder buildup. It's like a fingernail that hooks the empty case and flips it clear of the gun once the round fires and the slide recoils rearward. Looks like it's flipping the empty brass but it's not making it outside of the chamber, so it gets jammed up with the next round as the slide returns back closed with the fresh round.

#6 ·
Ok so first of all, that's the extractor, NOT the ejector. The ejector is a curved part which is tensioned by the sear spring and attached to the frame on the Mustang.

The extractor is similar to the 1911 design and may require increasing tension- which can be done by judiciously and carefully increasing the bend in the extractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
When reassembling is the ejector "popping up" from its depressed position? In order words, the spring pressure from sear spring should hold the ejector above the position pictured once it's reassembled (its depressed to allow disassembly)?

#12 ·
PD5523: Okay I understand what you are asking. When I attempt to place a round against the bolt face under the extractor, the round is loose and wobbly. It does not stay firmly in place. I tried to take a picture but the round kept falling out of the "sweet" spot.
All: is the extractor my problem?
Kim

#13 ·
I suspect you have insufficient extractor tension. If you remove the extractor you should be able to bend it slightly to increase tension. Along with tension goes deflection and to allow the extractor to move in board far enough to tension fund you may need to adjust (file) fitting pad where fitting pad bears against extractor tunnel.

#14 ·
I, too, meant to say extractor, not ejector. PD5523 has correctly described the "shake" test, and that appears to be the problem. I don't own a Mustang, but it looks like in addition to a possible tension problem, the back (rear) of the extractor tip is very rounded. I believe it should be flatter. If adjusting the tension doesn't solve the problem, I would try filing that surface to give the extractor a better grip on the casing.

#15 · (Edited)
Thank you to all who responded!
I took your suggestions and attempted to slightly bend the extractor. I also did some very slight filing work to the surface of the extractor part that pulls out the case. I also dropped a dab of oil on the ejector (where it rotates) and worked it a little bit. After reassembly, I headed out to the back yard and ran two magazines through the pistol. My previous experience suggested that I should have 2 - 3 failures to extract every 12 rounds. In this test I had none!! When I have a bit more time this week, I will run more volume through the gun just to be sure the problem is solved.
Thanks everyone!
Kim

#17 ·
Good to hear the fix seems to be working. Be sure to run plenty of tests before relying on it for self defense. Statistically, a 25 round test with 0 failures only provides a 95% confidence that the failure rate will be less than 5%. I personally want more confidence in a lower failure rate, so I would recommend testing at least 100 rounds of FMJ ammo to confirm reliable functioning, then at least 25 rounds of the ammo you will carry to confirm it doesn't have problems eating that specific ammo.

#19 · (Edited)
Hi.
I came back from the range about two hours ago having run 100 rounds through the pistol. No failures to extract were noted so I am pleased!!!
I ended up taking the little Colt to my local gunsmith last Wednesday as my attempt to fix the problem did not work. The gunsmith had it checked out, fixed and tested within 24 hours. When I questioned him about the issue, he said there were a couple things: There was a metal burr (he called it "flashing") inside on the frame near the extractor that he smoothed out which he felt could have caused an extraction problem. He said he tested it and still had some intermittent problems. He then pulled the extractor, tweaked it to give it a bit more tension or curve and also did a little work on the extractor claw part so that it would grab the spent casing more reliably. He then tested and it worked as it should.
He said he wasn't sure how this passed quality control but I am happy that it is all fixed now.
I realize I could have sent this back to Colt for free but I wasn't interested in an extended wait. My guy had the work done in less than 24 hours.
Thanks for everyones help!
Kim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.