+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Bingo is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

What models did Colt use the Coltguard finish on?

and what barrel lengths for the revolvers?

I remember:
    Colt Tropper MKIII 4" .357
    Colt Trooper MKIII 4" 6" .22LR w/.22 mag cylinder
    Colt Series 70 GM
    Colt Series 70 GC
    Colt Det Spec 2"
    Colt Python
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Lawman MKIII 2" .357
    Last edited by Bingo; 11-08-2009 at 07:30 AM.
    Free Men own Guns..... Slaves don't
    RIP My dear dog "Jake" (1998- 3/11/2011-pictured in the avatar).
    The home of Bosco- My new Black Lab.
    Molon Labe......

Supporting Member Colt75 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    I seem to recall seeing pictures of a Lawman 4" with the Coltguard Finish. I think factory rubber grips.

Senior Member Hipshot is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Double wide in God's Country and/or Sandland
    Liked
    30 times
    One of the neat things about Colts is that they did a lot of things that they never bothered to tell anyone about, including the Colt Historian. You can find a lot of one offs that were never intended to be that way.
    Coltguard pops up on guns that it never cataloged with that finish, for example I have a MKIII 2" lawman with what has to be factory Coltguard, that I have never seen anywhere else, not saying I have a one off, but I have not seen it cataloged, or ever seen another one-this is the one with the exposed ejector rod-anyone else out there got one??
    The Islamic Terrorist Express, go directly to Allah, do not pass Hell.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Alot of Colt oddball guns were produced during the strike in the mid-80's as the replacement worker weren't too up on the specific variations. I have a couple of odd-ball SAA's from that era.
    Molon Labe......

Senior Member COLTDAGUY will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
    One of the neat things about Colts is that they did a lot of things that they never bothered to tell anyone about, including the Colt Historian. You can find a lot of one offs that were never intended to be that way.
    Coltguard pops up on guns that it never cataloged with that finish, for example I have a MKIII 2" lawman with what has to be factory Coltguard, that I have never seen anywhere else, not saying I have a one off, but I have not seen it cataloged, or ever seen another one-this is the one with the exposed ejector rod-anyone else out there got one??
    Hipshot,

You have to be careful when you look at those finishes... A couple friends of mine, one who owned a machine shop business applied that finish aftermarket to hundreds of S&W and Colt revolvers and autos in the early 70s... Lots of cops had their guns plated with that finish through them. I had a couple done myself, one series 70 .45acp and a Python ... They also made special target barrels that they fitted for PPC shooting... I had a great Model 15 that drove tacks at 50 yards... Had both the regular 4 inch barrel plated and an 8 inch heavy bull barrel installed... the gun without the bull barrel and with the original 4 inch barrel showed up at a gunshow awhile back ... A friend told me about it...

Anyway, that is why you see oddball one of a kind guns with that finish that seem to never have been done by the factory . There were several processes and the two guys I knew called theirs Armo-Plate .... There were other suppliers doing it during the same time frame as well... FYI

Bob

Supporting Member Colt75 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    I noticed while glancing through the Blue Book for info on another model that the Post-War Ace Service Model is listed as having been available with the Coltguard finish. I do not have a lot of faith in the BB when it comes to Colts, but thought I would put this out there.

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    419 times
    Colt announced Coltguard on the Trooper MkIII and Lawman MkIII in the 1981 catalog. They announced Royal Coltguard on the Python in the 1982 catalog. In the same catalog, they announced the MkV models (showing only the Trooper) and indicate its availability in Coltguard. I have seen no other subsequent revolver listings where they specifically indicate Coltguard other than the MkVs and only in 1983, they just continue to list blue and nickel and let you draw your own conclusions about which nickel. In particular, I don't believe it was ever a standard offering on the Diamondback or Detective Special although a few documented instances of them so finished by the factory certainly exist. I have to believe that they were special ordered or the whim of Colt when cranking out a few on spec, so to speak. Some earlier model semi-autos were offered in "satin nickel" but the 380 Government Model listed Coltguard in 1986 and, in 1987, both it and the Mustang 380 were so listed. The 380s are about the only guns showing nickel into the 90s and that doesn't specify which. This is just based on what catalogs I have FWIW and my meagher observations. As always, I have to disclaim that Colt could have done anything on any given day.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have or have owned with the original boxes a Trooper MKIII 4" .357 box was marked E Nickel, a Trooper MKIII 4" in .22LR with a spare .22mag cylinder, box was also marked E Nickel. If a Mustang was made in E NIckel I think the frame was E Nickeled with a SS slide. I have to check the box.
    I also owned a E NIckel Det Spec also.
    Colt also made a Satin Nickel Govt .380acp Model #03680 IIRC. This was a one year production model.
    Last edited by Bingo; 11-09-2009 at 06:37 AM.
    Molon Labe......

Senior Member Buckspen is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    273 times

ColtGuard Finish

Colt cataloged the Coltguard finish as available on the New Frontier 22 revolvers in the mid-1980's, but no verifiable factory examples of such guns have ever turned up.

- - Buckspen

Junior Member mac62463 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt Trooper MKIII .357 CTG 8" Bbl

I have a 90%+ revolver from the early 80's that was my dads. It has the CTG electroless nickle (Colt Guard) finish, black hard rubber grips and a 8" barrel. I had it appraised a while ago @ $600 but it seems to be fairly uncommon from the research I've done. A python it's not, but it is a nice hunting handgun -- needs a trigger job! Any info would be appreciated. Thnx. Mac
    Last edited by mac62463; 09-02-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads