+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Seamore2001 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

Information source about Colt 1911 two-tone magazines?

I'm trying to find out a bit more about a two-tone mag for a 1911 I own.
    It has the lanyard loop, bottom in blue, top in the white, and no markings.
    It came down to me from family. A buddy looked at me a little strangely when he noticed me using it at the range, and suggested I retire it and buy a modern replacement. If someone could point me to an information source where I can find out more about it, I'd appreciate it.

Senior Member Buckspen is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    353 times

1911 Magazine

From your description, it sounds like a Colt 1911 magazine from the 1911-1916 period. You can read about development of the magazines on pages 88-90 of Charles Clawson's "Colt .45 Service Pistols - Models of 1911 and 1911A1". This is Mr. Clawson's big, out of print and expensive book.

There is more information on pages 82-85 of his "Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols", which is a smaller book but more reasonably priced these days.

Photos would help!

- - Buckspen

Senior Member hwjhfs is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    364 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamore2001 View Post
    I'm trying to find out a bit more about a two-tone mag for a 1911 I own.
    It has the lanyard loop, bottom in blue, top in the white, and no markings.
    It came down to me from family. A buddy looked at me a little strangely when he noticed me using it at the range, and suggested I retire it and buy a modern replacement. If someone could point me to an information source where I can find out more about it, I'd appreciate it.
    The lanyard ring on the magazine was discontinued, I think, in 1914-1915. The advice to use a different mag to prevent further wear etc. on the two tone was probably OK if you do a lot of shooting. If the mag is original to the gun, and you do a lot of shooting, I would buy a different gun to shoot. Heck, sell the early Colt 1911 to a collector and buy you two shooters and have change left over. My opinion. Here is a link that may offer some info on your gun and mag: http://www.coltautos.com/default.asp

Senior Member Karl is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I think hwjhfs is correct. It was around 1915 when the lanyard loop was phased out. I'd suggest finding out the date of manufacture of your 1911 before you go any further.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/c...production.htm

If it's 1915 or earlier keep that magazine. Even if it's not the original, it's correct for the period. If it's post 1915 look for a two tone magazine without the loop. Here's another source for info on magazines....

http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/Magazines.htm

Was your buddy commenting on using an old GI 1911 or an old GI 1911 Magazine? As a rule of thumb if you're going to shoot that classic GI 1911 be careful of the ammo you're using. Stay away from high pressure loads like +P. Old GI frames can crack and generally wear out. Personally, I own 4 classic GI 1911s and, of the 4, two will be safe queens and never shot... the other two get shot very infrequently.
    Last edited by Karl; 12-08-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    "God created man, Sam Colt made him equal."

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Thanks for the information!
    No, my 1911 pattern Colts are both modern - an XSE and Gold Cup. The mag was just something that was laying around in all the other family gun junk, and when I needed an extra mag, I grabbed it (the 1911 it went with was given away to a family friend decades ago - it's somewhere in California, last I heard).
    My buddy was pointing out that there were better choices to use than an early Colt magazine that might better retain its value if it weren't heading to range all the time. I did not realize quite how early it was - I'll put it back in the gun-junk drawer until I get a correct 1911 for it to go with one day.

Member #
    Liked
    364 times

Tag it

Quote Originally Posted by Seamore2001 View Post
    Thanks for the information!
    No, my 1911 pattern Colts are both modern - an XSE and Gold Cup. The mag was just something that was laying around in all the other family gun junk, and when I needed an extra mag, I grabbed it (the 1911 it went with was given away to a family friend decades ago - it's somewhere in California, last I heard).
    My buddy was pointing out that there were better choices to use than an early Colt magazine that might better retain its value if it weren't heading to range all the time. I did not realize quite how early it was - I'll put it back in the gun-junk drawer until I get a correct 1911 for it to go with one day.
    On items I put away for the future I try to tag as to what it is and what it is worth or what I paid for it. That helps me and hopefully my survivors when it comes time to look at the stuff again.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    That's good advice. I try to do that with some of the nicer or more interesting guns I put away, such as the S&W Victory lend-lease revolver that my wife's grandfather gave to her father in the early 1950s while they were on vacation in Arizona. One day it will go to my daughters. It's not an especially great revolver, but it does have some nice family connections.

Incidentally, do you have an idea of the magazine's value? At a guess, based on Gunbroker auctions, one could *ask* around $125 for it.

BTW, I know a picture would help - but it does look like most other two-tone magazines I've seen on gunbroker. No rust or dents, just an older mag with the lanyard loop and the blue on the bottom half.

Thanks again to everyone for the help on my questions about this magazine.

Member #
    Liked
    364 times

Value

There are a least 3 versions of the lanyard loop mag...that I know of. The earliest has an exposed base meaning the sides of the magazine stop on top of the floor plate or base instead of going along side of it and those are worth $500 for a nice one...or more. The second type I am aware of is the 'keyhole' cut in the back. Those are heavily faked but I would think an original in average condition ought to be $200 plus or minus. The 3rd type is the most common and is what I will assume you have. Condition is the factor in value but as you described it I would say the $100 range minimum. Those are just my wag. Regards.

Senior Member DPris is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    Buy a copy of Poyer's "The Model 1911 and Model 1911A1 Military and Commercial Pistols" if you genuinely want or need an affordable and thorough reference book. There's a section on all of the military mags along with photos of each to determine which one's what.
    Think I paid $30 for mine at Midway.
    Denis

Senior Member Cyrano is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    hwjhfs: You're right but you left one out, the magazines made at Springfield Armory for their 1911s, where the magazine body is bent over the bottom of the floorplate.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads