+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member MadDog is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Does The 1908 Hammerless .25 Have A Firing Pin Block?

I know the 1908 Hammerless Vest Pocket .25 has a grip safety, mag disconnect safety, and frame safety. However, on many 1911's those features alone do not prevent an innertial discharge. Does the 1908 vest pocket have a firing pin block or any way of stopping an innertial discharge if accidentally dropped on the muzzle with a round chambered, or does it just rely on a heavy firing pin spring weight?

MadDog
    WWJWD (What would John Wayne do?)

Member dubbletrubble is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    No block. But I think the three safety system would keep it from firing. I have never dropped mine to find out. I will say it "might".

Supporting Member JudgeColt will become famous soon enough JudgeColt will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1062 times
    The Model N is striker-fired. It does not have an inertia firing pin like a Model O.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Judge: That is good news as mine is a model N. Now another question; the Wolf Spring web site has a rebuild kit (only for one model 25) that has a replacment spring for the firing pin as well as all the other springs. I wonder what they do for the "striker fired" model. Have you ever, or anyone else ever, rebuilt the model N using a Wolf spring kit?

MadDog

Supporting Member JudgeColt will become famous soon enough JudgeColt will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1062 times
    All ".25 Vest Pocket Hammerless" pistols are Models N. All are striker fired. I suspect that what Wolf is calling the "firing pin spring" is actually the striker spring. The striker has a "firing pin" as part of it of course, since something has to strike the primer to ignite the powder.

Or is the Wolf "kit" for the Junior or Automatic .25 model with a hammer and actual firing pin, first made by Astra in the 1950s as the Junior and then by Firearms International in the 1960s as the Automatic .25? Never having felt the need for any Wolf springs, I have never investigated the Wolf spring offerings. If Wolf is referring to a "Model 25," I have no idea to what Wolf is referring since no Colt has that model designation, but, after reflection, I suspect it refers to the Astra Cub clone and not the Model N.

I see lots of discussion of putting Wolf spring "kits" in these old pistols. I suspect that reflects the desire of owners to "do something good" for the old pistols, but in all but the rarest of cases, it is unnecessary. Mine all work fine with their original springs.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Judge: Wolf refers to their spring kit as for a "Colt 1908 Pocket Model 6.35mm Semi-Automatic". Are they talking about the .25 Vest Pocket model?

MadDog

Senior Member Cobretti is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I have the Wolff Pistol Service Pak Type II (with magazine spring), stock #69072 and the label states; For Use In: "Colt 1908 Pocket Model N 6.35 mm." In fact, I just got off the phone with Wolff about an order I placed for my 1908 .380 spring kit. Their customer service # is 1-800-545-0077 if you'd like to verify the applications.
    "Maverick didn't come here to lose."

NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Cobretti: did you replace "all" of the springs that came with the Wolf kit? If so, did you notice any apreciable difference in performance?

MadDog

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1062 times
    With the information provided about the Wolf offerings, it appears to me that Wolf does indeed offer a spring kit for the Model N ( Model 1908) Vest Pocket Hammerless .25 pistol.

That brings me back to my original question. What problem do you think will be solved with a Wolf spring kit? I fail to see how a spring kit can make any "appreciable difference in performance," unless something was wrong with one of the springs so as to cause malfunctions.

Senior Member Cobretti is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I haven't replaced the springs yet, I'm waiting until I send it to Fords for the refinish. They installed the spring kit for my .32 when they refinished that one. I did shoot the .25 first and it will definitely benefit from at least a new recoil spring, as the one in it is probably from 1917 and acts like it.
    "Maverick didn't come here to lose."

NRA Life Member

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads