+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Member Leland Gaunt is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Kitchen table trigger job on Pony Pocketlite

The trigger on my pony was terrible! Twenty+ pound of pull and I could feel the hammer spring dragging on something when I moved the hammer back and forth with my fingers.

The trigger job was a snap. Let me add that I've been an aircraft mechanic most of my life so I have a head start on most people.

The problem found was interesting and I wonder if other pony owners with hard trigger pulls have the same problem. The problem was that the hammer spring was galling against the back of the sear spring.

Let me talk you through breakdown.

1. Remove slide, grips and the draw bar spring.

2. Using a block of wood (or any soft but firm material) with a hole drilled in it tap out the hammer pin with a punch. It is held in place by spring pressure so be prepared to the hammer and strut self eject when the punch is removed. Reach in with a small tool and remove the hammer spring. I removed the pin from right to left but the pin measured straight as did the hole it rides in. I dropped the pin back in from the right. Seems ambi.

3. Next tap out the sear pin FROM RIGHT TO LEFT. The pin has an enlarged tapered head on the left side. The sear and ejector are under pressure from the sear spring but not bad. You won't be launching parts when you remove the punch. Remove the loose parts.

4. Lean the top of the sear spring forward and lift out of there recess in the bottom of the frame. I didn't remove the trigger because it moved freely.

Here's what the sear spring looked like when removed.

as removed shear spring.jpg

Notice the scratching by the spring I'm sure the spring was also catching on the jig hole on the bottom of the spring

chamfered hole.jpg

Here I've chamfered the hole and you can see the galling better.

polished.jpg

Here I've polished the back to remove scratches and get Nice and smooth. I used my Drimmel with a felt pad and jewelers rouge. Also I broke the sharp edge on the front of the hole in the base of the handle that the hammer spring sits in just in case it was also catching there using miniature files.

Next I polished everything that rubbed against anything else and cleaned and lubed everything.

Reassembly by yourself is a pain but with the help of a friend to add that third hand it should be easy. I reassembled by myself so I really have to hold your tongue in the right place to get the parts to line up against spring pressure and get the pins back in.

Assembly is reverse of disassembly. One tip is that I used the smooth shank of a #50 drill bit to come in from the right side to thread the sear and ejector on to line them up so you can tap the pin back in from the left.

I installed a Wolff seven pound hammer spring and while I was at it I put in the Wolff stainless guide rod with single spring.

After reassembly I now have a Pony that has a 10 1/2 pound trigger pull. Sweet, now I can use it. Hope you can make out my messy writing, as I said I'm an aircraft mechanic...............Good Luck, John

Junior Member old geezer is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Good write up, Thanks for the information. I may have to do this for my pocket nine. Its not too bad but could use some help.

Don
    3/5 Cav, C troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam, 1969

Junior Member maggie is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What's the yellow stuff on 2 tabs in the 1st pic ?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maggie View Post
    What's the yellow stuff on 2 tabs in the 1st pic ?
    That's the legs of the spring clip that I hadn't removed yet. Item 36 on the Pony Parts Illustration. Looks like it was painted with some sort of chromate to protect the metal.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
    Good write up, Thanks for the information. I may have to do this for my pocket nine. Its not too bad but could use some help.

Don
    Don, if you remove your slide and move the hammer back and forth with your fingers can you feel the hammer spring coils hanging on something? My hammer is now smooth as silk.

Senior Member Major Pain is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Good post John.--MP

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So you DO remove the " yellow " legs..

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So you DO remove the " yellow " legs..
    It's just a small spring clip that goes around the sear spring. I removed it to polish the sear spring. You just push out and down on one of the legs and it pops right off. Here's a pic.

clipspring.jpg

I remember you have a hard trigger Pony. Are you going to give this a try?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    L O L Hard Trigger Pony , sounds like a band name . I'm gonna take a closer look , but your pix are great & I assume your work is also . Based on the A/Craft folks I have known. Where is the Pony picture guide you mentioned ? Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    L O L Hard Trigger Pony , sounds like a band name . I'm gonna take a closer look , but your pix are great & I assume your work is also . Based on the A/Craft folks I have known. Where is the Pony picture guide you mentioned ? Thanks
    Go here http://www.coltsmfg.com/publications.aspx find "Double Action Series 90, .380 & 9mm Auto Pistols". download the .pdf manual and you'll find the parts illustration in the back of the book.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads