+ Reply to Thread

Thread: colt huntsman

Member bobbidoll is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

colt huntsman

I Have a colt huntsman NIB that I received from a Distributor in Jan. 1977,
    was checking the blue book, for prices and general info about it, The serial # is 091182S. The blue book said the huntsman had a sufix of C this has an S is a 4.5" bbl. The book says the S's were sold in 1983 which is after I received the gun. Any one know anything about this. Has plastic grips. Bobbi
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bobbidoll; 05-22-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: forgot the grips

Senior Member ordnanceguy is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Bobbi:

You have become trapped in the disinformation swamp of the Blue Book. The recognized authority on the Woodsman and its relatives is Bob Rayburn, who posts here occasionally. He is currently out of town so may not respond to this.

His website will answer all of your questions. From his website your serial number appears to be 1976 production, which matches your purchase date. Bob also says that only the very early Huntsman guns have the C-suffix. Your gun appears to be a correct late production Huntsman.

See Bob's site here: http://www.eskimo.com/~rayburn/woodsman/index.html

My suggestion is that you ignore the Blue Book on the Woodsman/Huntsman and take your information on the subject from Bob. There are also a lot of knowledgeable Woodsman/Huntsman/etc. collectors on this site, too, who are always happy to help.

HTH.

Regards,
    Charlie Flick
    CCA Life
    NRA Life

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

huntsman

the book (remember the song it's in the Book LOL) also said it didn't have a slide stop, guess wrong is wrong. Bobbi

Member Gizmo is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbidoll View Post
    the book (remember the song it's in the Book LOL) also said it didn't have a slide stop, guess wrong is wrong. Bobbi
    The book is right in that sense. The "slide stop" on a woodsman automatically engages when the last shot is fired to hold the slide open, and can also be manually engaged to do the same. The huntsman has a "slide lock" that has to be manually engaged to hold the slide open.

Really nice looking gun. Do you plan to shoot it?

Supporting Member colt22dotcom is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    274 times
    I Have a colt huntsman NIB that I received from a Distributor in Jan. 1977,
    was checking the blue book, for prices and general info about it, The serial # is 091182S. The blue book said the huntsman had a sufix of C this has an S is a 4.5" bbl. The book says the S's were sold in 1983 which is after I received the gun. Any one know anything about this. Has plastic grips. Bobbi
    Since I write the Woodsman section of the Bluebook I take a special interest in any perceived errors.

1. In re-reading my words I do not see anywhere that I said the Huntsman ALWAYS had a C suffix. There is only a reference to a cutoff serial number of 141094-C, in 1960, as the changeover from black plastic to walnut grips. It seems quite a leap to infer from that that all Huntsmans had a C suffix.

2. The Model S Master WAS sold only in 1983. As explained in the Blue Book that was a special run of approximately 400 guns using Huntsman frames, but equipped with an automatic slide stop, Elliason rear sight, gold etching, and a French fitted walnut case. Clearly your Huntsman is NOT an S Master. By the way, since the S Master was a parts cleanup run, some of the Huntsman frames used for the S Master had a C suffix.

3. Although you said that your Huntsman has plastic grips, they certainly look to be walnut in your photo. Furthermore, since the SN indicates a manufacture date of 1976, which is 16 years after Colt quit using the plastic grips on the Huntsman, I would expect it to have walnut grips.

I have been on a river boat cruise in Russia for the past 3 weeks, with only very limited internet access. I got home yesterday to find approximately 1500 unanswered emails, which so far I have only scanned quickly. I believe I saw one with questions similar to those that you posed here. If that was indeed from you then I will consider that one answered.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    The book is right in that sense. The "slide stop" on a woodsman automatically engages when the last shot is fired to hold the slide open, and can also be manually engaged to do the same. The huntsman has a "slide lock" that has to be manually engaged to hold the slide open.

Really nice looking gun. Do you plan to shoot it?

No shooting I have my used guns to shoot, the old Bisley is cool to shoot,

How do I tell if this gun has a auto hold open, or a manual one without opening the slide? the guns I sell as new and untouched are just that, I did however open the plastic surrounding the grips because they looked strange, and they are plastic, not wood or hard rubber, smooth plaastic. I'm going to price it one of these days, just wanted to learn something about it.
    Bobbi

Member Gizmo is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sometimes a pic really is worth a thousand words.

woodsman.jpg
    Last edited by Gizmo; 05-31-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Supporting Member colt22dotcom is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    274 times
    I did however open the plastic surrounding the grips because they looked strange, and they are plastic, not wood or hard rubber, smooth plaastic.
    Bobbi
    Very strange indeed! Not only does your Colt have a type of grips that is at least 16 years older than the gun, but they are a color not used in the plastic Woodsman or Huntsman grips made by Colt. Does it have the Colt logo on the right side grip panel (not shown in your photo) like the other quarter million or so pairs of plastic grips?

Ads