+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Member fitz2 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    354 times

ww11 comm.

some info. about ww2 commemoratives from my dealer literature, one thing that came with both was a book, american heritage's picture history of world war 2, with a special colt dust jacket. if you ordered both guns you could get matching serial nos. or, consecutive nos. or, they will match serial nos. of any other commemorativ you already have. heres the hard part, retail price is $250.

Member mikoyan21 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    My Dad was in Europe during WWII so these mean a lot to me. I hope they will mean something to my grandsons as well. I will tell them some stories about their great grandad when they get older. And I will teach the boys to shoot them as well.

I was up your way not long ago at the Glock shoot at Waldorf, MD. My wife and I spent the night in Fredericksburg. I ran myself ragged in my spare time visiting the battlefields.

So, are you looking for a ETO to keep the PTO company?
    Fredericksburg is my adobted home, yes, this area is full of civil war history, if I could find an unfired, cased ETO sample I would consider buying it.

Junior Member Bazmadi is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: How Many?

I was also given this same gun, unfired and in the commemorative box, by an old girlfriend. There's not a lot of information about this particular commemorative model--the European Theater model is the more commonly known. But I did find that only 11,000 of the Colt 1911 PTO nickel pistols were released for consumer purchase, and I've seen prices range from $800 to $3,000. I flirted with the idea of selling it, but have decided to make it my personal handgun instead. It shoots like a dream (yes, yes, I did the unthinkable and decided to fire it) and everyone at the range always looks at it the same way they'd look at a hot blond in a bikini. It's a fantastic gun--glad you have one!

kvd
    Senior Member kvd is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Looking at the pictices of these great commemoratives prompts me to ask one question is there any rhyme or reason for when Colt uses an arched mainspring housing on a particular pistol and when they use a flat one?

Ken

Senior Member Bill_Tidler_Jr is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kvd View Post
    Looking at the pictices of these great commemoratives prompts me to ask one question is there any rhyme or reason for when Colt uses an arched mainspring housing on a particular pistol and when they use a flat one?

Ken
    The arched MSH would be appropriate for a WWII (M1911A1) commemorative and the flat for a WWI (M1911) commemorative. Actual rebuilt M1911s used in WWII could have an arched MSH as arsenal and other rebuilding and repair resulted in the mixing of parts, sometimes to a great degree.
    Bill Tidler Jr.
    JMB & JDC Disciple

kvd

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Tidler_Jr View Post
    The arched MSH would be appropriate for a WWII (M1911A1) commemorative and the flat for a WWI (M1911) commemorative. Actual rebuilt M1911s used in WWII could have an arched MSH as arsenal and other rebuilding and repair resulted in the mixing of parts, sometimes to a great degree.
    Thanks for the response Bill. So from a historical perspective, the flat mainspring housing would be correct for a WWI 1911 and the arched mainspring housing would be appropriate for a correct WWII 1911A1.
    I was thinking more of current production Colts. For example, Series 70 and Delta Elites have arched mainspring housings while most everything else such as 1991s, Gold Cups, and 38 Supers have flat mainspring housings. Is the use of one or the other mandated by the firing system or are they interchangeable?

Ken

Supporting Member ghitch75 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    i just picked one up a couple of weeks ago.....unfired in case for $800.00.....not a scratch on it any where...mine was made in 1970...i think they all where made then...

Last edited by ghitch75; 01-11-2011 at 08:47 PM.

kvd

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ghitch75 View Post
    i just picked one up a couple of weeks ago.....unfired in case for $800.00.....not a scratch on it any where...mine was made in 1970...i think they all where made then...

That seems like a great deal to me - congratulations!

Ken

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads