+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member n8tive97 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Colt Double Eagle .45 MK II Series 90

I was wondering if there was anyone out there that had any thoughts about this pistol. There are a lot of mixed reviews of this gun on the web. Has anyone ever owned one or shot one? My Grandfather gave me his. Its is blue with a short barrel. I haven't shot it yet and would like to keep it or trade up for a 1911?

What are your thoughts?

SDC

Junior Member Fastsheriff is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It sounds like you have a Light Weight Officers model Double Eagle. I carry a Double Eagle officers every day at work. They are very nice guns. If you decide to sell it I would be interested. There is also a full size "special Police" that has a blue slide and stainless frame.
    Last edited by Fastsheriff; 03-26-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    Take your time in a hurry.

Senior Member charlene is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    All of my personal experience with Double Eagles is with the full size stainless steel model in 10mm Auto. I have owned four of them, and currently own three. The only blued ones that I can specifically recall were the lightweight officers models as noted above. These used to seem to me to be pretty rare, but perhaps colt made more of these blued models than I realized as it seems that I keep running into them everywhere I look over the last few years. I used to want to get one of these just because I thought they were rare and I like Double Eagles, though I don't really care for officers size pistols in general, whether in 1911 or Double Eagle configuration. Then, I started seeing these blued LW Double Eagle Officers models all over the place, and figured they must not be that rare after all.

To directly respond to your question, I would say that in my view the Colt Double Eagle Mk. II pistols are very much underrated. Most of the complaints and criticisms that gave the gun a negative "Double Beagle" reputation that pretty much doomed it were based on the early non-Mk II original version of the Double Eagle. Some of these criticisms were valid, if a bit overstated. The Mk II version corrected all of these issues and came out quickly, I think less than a year after the original Double Eagle was introduced. I was personally told by then-Colt CEO Ron Whitaker that there was a time in the early 1990s when union workers who had been on strike and non-union "scab" workers were both working in the factory and had formed into two opposed, discontented factions. Supposedly, these two factions (union vs. non-union) were so antagonistic that they were actively sabotaging each others work in an effort to blame "those other workers" for the resulting messed up parts and out of spec guns. Think about that. Deliberately building lemons! I had a couple of those, but Colt eventually fixed them, and they work fine now.

Take the gun out and try it out. Does it work? Is it sufficiently accurate? Does it fit your hand well? Do you like it? These are the things you really need to know to decide if you should keep it. If it were me, I'd probably keep it because of how it came to me if nothing else. Also, don't trade it in. You won't get full value for it that way. If you do decide to part with it, try to sell it to another end user. That will maximize the value on one hand, and give you some cash to use buy another gun, which will help you get the best deal on whatever you buy, since "cash is king" as they say.
    Last edited by charlene; 03-26-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Supporting Member tomob1 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    as mentioned, the officers model, made only one year. i have one in stainless and love it.
    i was never comfortable carrying a 1911 condition 1, so the double eagle is perfect for me.
    tom
    Live life without a net - Doc Holliday

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Here is a picture...

I have no idea when he bought it, but it still has the tag on it. I really like this gun. I will have to take it to the range with me next time. Is this the officers model?

Senior Member charlene is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Yes. Lightweight Officer's model.

Senior Member Waldo Pepper is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Man that's one uggggly "improved" 1911, I think S&W made a better looking "improved" 1911 called the 4576 and the 1076 I hate to say.
    Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'. . .

Junior Member airwolf is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    maybe is not as good looking as the rest of the colts, but it is an exelent shooter, i have customized mine, with wooden grips night sights,rubber finger grooves and a full size spring gide.

on single action is about 6lbs, and it shoots beautifull; i carry my double eagle chambered every day.

it is an exelent gun
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by airwolf View Post
    maybe is not as good looking as the rest of the colts, but it is an exelent shooter, i have customized mine, with wooden grips night sights,rubber finger grooves and a full size spring gide.

On single action is about 6lbs, and it shoots beautifull; i carry my double eagle chambered every day.

It is an exelent gun
    very nice!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Waldo Pepper is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hard to believe how much better the gun looks with some nice wood.

Just last Thursday late a buddy that has a gun & pawn shop called and said a guy was trying to trade a 10mm Double Eagle in but he was wanting a lot for the gun and wanted me to look as see if I was interested.

Gun had a pretty bad nicked up front of slide where it appeared to stick out of a holster and the black grips were pretty bad scratched up on right side. It looked to have been carried by uniformed LEO for a number of years from wear points. As far as internals went it looked like it had only been shot on those once a year qual's and holstered the rest of the time.

But my buddy was going to have to put $650 into the gun and I told him the gun was not worth $700 plus he would have to sell gun for, and would be lucky if it would bring more then $500 hundred retail. Told him I would have to fire it before even paying $500 for the gun. He ended up turning the guy down and I guess it's still out there floating around somewhere.
    Last edited by Waldo Pepper; 04-11-2011 at 04:09 AM.
    Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'. . .

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads