+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Supporting Member Colt-SL is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2007 times

Does anyone have any info on the “Commencement Issue Limited Edition” Officer’s ACP?…

Colt Officer’s ACP, MK IV Series 80, Commencement Issue Limited Edition.

You may have seen this gun on Gunbroker. It was listed there for some time. I looked, coveted, passed it by time and again, but finally relented. I had to have it; especially after seeing it prominently pictured on the front & back inside hardback cover and again on the frontispiece of the R.L. Wilson book, “Colt An American Legend”. It wasn’t similar to the pictured gun; it IS the gun, serial number 1. (FA00001, to be exact.) It was produced through the Colt Custom Gun Shop and comes with presentation case, Colt Archive letter stating that the gun was originally retained by the Colt factory as a sample and display piece.

I haven’t been able to ascertain how many were produced in the edition’s run. Nor have I confirmed whether it is true that the Custom Shop only made these available to someone who completed one of the U.S. military academies; either West Point or the US Naval Academy, but that’s what I read. Any clarifying or additional info you can lend would be gratefully appreciated. Here are some photos I just snapped.

Last edited by Colt-SL; 01-06-2013 at 06:46 AM.
    Tony

"There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life...or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson) - "The Outlaw Josey Wales" 1976

Senior Member Vintage Racer is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Sorry, I can't offer any additional details, but it is certainly a beauty. The serial number makes it a great find. And BTW, you did a great job doing the pictures. Congrats.
    Colt & S&W revolver and Colt 1911 accumulator

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2007 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Racer View Post
    Sorry, I can't offer any additional details, but it is certainly a beauty. The serial number makes it a great find. And BTW, you did a great job doing the pictures. Congrats.
    Thank you!!
    Tony

"There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life...or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson) - "The Outlaw Josey Wales" 1976

Senior Member kmecjohnson is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Very Nice!!!

One for sale - s/n 556...

Collector's Firearms

What the "Book" says...

1984 OFFICER'S COMMENCEMENT ISSUE Add to Collection
    - Officer's ACP with Marine Corps emblem, rosewood grips, silver plated oak leaf scroll, cased, ser. no. range N/A.

Grading 100% Issue Price Qty. Made
    $995 $700 1,000

Interesting - Sold for $1300 at auction in Vegas (your s/n)...

Lot Description:
    Serial no. FA00001. .45ACP caliber, 3 3/4-inch barrel, blued finish, with etched silver motifs, including maple leaf, U.S. Army and Navy symbols, and markings. Blued finish. Varnished rosewood grips with nickel-finish rampant colt medallion inlays. Wood grain box with Custom Shop end label, including serial number, factory order #11630, and model designation.
    Condition: Fine. Some patina through Navy symbol.
    Notes: Retained by factory as sample and display pistol with low serial number.
    Provenance: Colt Factory Archives Firearms Collection.
    Estimate: 750 - 950
    Last edited by kmecjohnson; 10-06-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2007 times
    Thanks kmecjohnson. I found that earlier reference to my gun sold by Greg Martin Auctions. In fact, I have the Colt archive letter they purchased prior to the sale. It's addressed to "Dear Collector". Oh, and the patina on the Naval symbol? A little silver polish on a Q-tip, elbow grease on the entire gun and then a complete Renaissance treatment and oh boy! Thanks for the info!!
    Tony

Supporting Member cochise is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I don't know what it is about that pistol but I sure do like it. I hope you keep it and enjoy it.
    Jim
    NRA Pistol Inst
    "The only reason a warrior is alive is to fight and the only reason a warrior fights is to win. -- Musashi

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2007 times
    Thanks cochise, it will stay put for a long, long time.
    Tony

Senior Member davemu is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ....but are you gonna shoot it?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2007 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davemu View Post
    ....but are you gonna shoot it?
    This might be the first new gun that I've purchased where I never gave a thought to shooting it. I have other ACP's that are shooters so I'll likely keep it as a safe queen.
    Tony

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2007 times
    OK, this is getting stranger. As kmecjohnson points out, I've now seen reference to the 1984 build date. But "The Book of Colt Firearms, Third Edition" shows this exact serial number being made in 1985. So I called Colt yesterday and gave them the serial number. The rep looked it up, told me it had the rosewood grips, etc., and said it was made in 1999! The archive letter says it left Colt's in 2008; they held it as a factory sample and display gun until that year. Then one other thing; as kmecjohnson points out, I have also seen it referenced as 1 of 1000. But with a serial number range of FA00000, that leaves one too many digits for just 1000. ARRGGHHH!
    Last edited by Colt-SL; 10-08-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Tony

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads