Colt Forum banner

1939 Colt Woodsman

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Evergreen 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I just posted a similar thread in the revolver forum regarding a SAA, and would appreciate any insight that can be provided here on a Woodsman.

I inherited a Colt Woodsman a few years back. I'm not looking to sell it, but I am curious what it might be worth. It was made in 1939 according to the serial number. I have an idea about what these are worth generally by looking at similar guns online, however none of the guns that I've seen online also have the original box and manuals.

Attached are links to pictures of the gun. You'll see the gun is in excellent condition. The box and paperwork are a little worn. Any idea what this thing might be worth given the original box, etc.?

Thanks again.

Links:

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks like all you are missing is the brush, tags, and test target. Very nice 1st series gun, they are my favorite. The sn should be written on the bottom of the box if its the one that came with the gun. Go to www.colt22.com for lots of great information on woodsmans. As to value it really seems to be hit or miss these days in my opinion. The same condition gun at one show selling higher or lower at another by a good margin. I guess depends on who has the most motivation, buyer or seller. My GUESS on yours would be from $600-$800 (assuming no negatives like bulged or pitted barrel, etc.) I would keep it, that's a nice one!!!

#3 ·
The gun appears to be well above average in condition. It is rated for High Velocity ammo, has the original box (a little tattered but all there), and some papers. I'd guesstimate $900 - $1000 depending on local demand, etc.

I agree with the previous poster in that you should keep this one. A nice shootable Woodsman like yours is just not all that easy to find these days. As always, JMHO.

#4 ·
IMO Colt75 is closer to the mark WRT value and may even be low. The pistol alone would bring - again, IMO - $900 - $1,000. The box, tool and paperwork could add a couple hundred more. First series Woodsman pistols in that condition are rare and the magazine is in unusually nice condition.

You said you don't plan on selling it and I think that's great. I'd surely keep it if I found one like it.

#5 ·
I'd think the gun alone is at least a $600-700 item in that condition, and the box and docs add $200 on top. Excellent package.

I agree there has been some serious variability in Woodsman prices in the last several months. I got the 1940 specimen in this thread -- http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...ore-than-50-years-one-range-report-added.html -- at auction about a year ago for a little under $600. I had thought I might have to go to $750 for a good one, so I was pleased. Since then I have seen them change hands as low as $500 -- just vagaries of the market, I guess.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. I definitely plan to keep this little gem, but it's interesting to know its monetary value just for curiosity's sake if not for insurance reasons. This will be passed on down the line... :)

David, just looked at your thread from last year. Congrats on yours! Great looking Woodsman. Now I'm itching to take mine out to the range...

#7 ·
About 3 years ago I bought one of the 1947 Woodsman Target Models that was made post-war as part of a parts clean up production run just prior to introducing the 2nd Series Woodsman model. It was in excellent condition except for a few freckles in the blue and had a hideous warped set of Franzite plastic stocks on it. I paid $460 with tax & DROS which in California was a steal from a retail shop and I didn't hesitate for a second. I found an excellent set of original stocks shortly thereafter for about $50-60 on ebay. I have seen similar conditioned guns for sale here lately for $850 and up.
One thing that seems difficult to find is the Colt screwdriver as pictured in the OP's box. They are very expensive when they show up on auction sites and that is not very often. I agree with a value of around $1100-1200 for the set. Here is mine with a vintage holster.

#8 ·
That's a beautfiul example, Walter. Sounds like you got a fantastic deal. I really like that holster, too.

Took mine to the range yesterday. What a great pistol! The best part was teaching my 10-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter to shoot with it. They had both shot my Ruger 10/22 before, but this was their first outing with a pistol. They both really enjoyed it, especially my daughter - it fits her better than that "big ol'" rifle. Even better, my wife really enjoyed shooting it as well, and commented how she'd like to get out to shoot .22's more. We wandered into the gun shop at the range afterwards, and looked at a Browining Buck Mark that might find itself in the collection soon. :)

After a cleaning the Woodsman got tucked away back in the safe with some new memories tied to it... Good times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.