+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Member handymanDon is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

best lubrication for a 1911 ?

In gunsmithing I did a post about my sticky barrel bushing. A stainless Gold Cup National Match pistol I've had for 2 years. It was built in 1987. Series 80. Over time the bushing has become more of a problem...sticking, binding. It caused me to eject the main spring cap across the room three times the other day. That's never happened before. I've read that some people swear by Mobile One in lubing their 1911s. Saying that's the only lube they use. My gun shop guy says it's the only lube he uses on his 1911s. That was good enough for me, so that's what I've been using. Just a light coating on all sliding and contact points...and as a final light swab down the barrel. I've heard conventional wisdom says, if it pivots, oil it...if it slides, grease it. Now i'm thinking a thin oil ain't good enough for the bushing...that it really needs something thicker like grease...maybe I should use it on the slide too. Just wondering what people feel is the best grease product for these areas that slide.

Senior Member Kid Sopris will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    708 times
    I have never used grease on a 1911..Mobil One works very well. I have used grease on the rails of my M14 and Garand, but never a 1911.
    Last edited by Kid Sopris; 02-02-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Senior Member diamondback22 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

mobil one

I have always used & had good luck with mobil one..a quart will last years..im sure your gun is clean & just wanted to add i have had good luck cleaning my guns with liquid wrench..it does a good job and dries fast..

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1239 times
    I've always been a firm believer in a good grease on some critical areas of automatic pistols and some areas of revolvers.

Unlike most liquid lubricants, grease doesn't sling off, run off, get wicked out, or dry out or evaporate.
    I'm currently carrying a Kahr Arms K9 that I lubed well over two years ago with Super Lube grease and Super Lube oil.
    Both are still present and working in all areas.

A grease makes a perfect lube for a CCW defense gun or house gun because unlike many liquid lubes, you don't open it up a few weeks later to find the lube largely gone.
    It's common to see light tan or brown holsters with the bottom of the leather stained a darker color from the lubricant running out of the slide and barrel bushing and getting absorbed by the leather.

I also treated customer guns with grease for years. Many of these got poor to no internal maintenance for years and grease stayed put and working.
    On autos I typically apply a thin coat of grease to the slide and frame rails, the forward section of the barrel, barrel locking lugs, and depending on the model, the recoil spring. In the action I apply a small amount of grease to hammer-sear interfaces.

On revolvers I greased the hammer-trigger interface DA and SA areas, the bottom and back of the rebound slide, and the front lug of the trigger that activates the cylinder bolt in S&W's. On Colt revolvers, I also applied a tiny dab on the "tail" of the bolt and the top of the rebound under the mainspring.

WHAT grease to use is a matter of personal preference. There are no "miracle lubricants", and no lube stands out above all the others.
    WHAT you use is not as important that your DO use a lube, and that it works long term without disappearing.
    The only possible problem I see with auto motor oils is that most offer little to no corrosion protection.

I used and still use Super Lube oil and grease as the actual lubricant, and a VERY thin coat of CLP Breakfree applied by "scrubbing" internal parts and areas with a soft toothbrush coated with a small amount of the CLP to prevent rust.

Super Lube comes in an oil that's a thick oil-thin grease consistency, the actual grease is a stiff grease.
    Super Lube is a clear-white synthetic lubricant with Teflon, and is good from 60 below to 450 above zero.
    You can buy small tubes of the grease and small oilers of the oil from Midway, or you can buy it in larger sizes direct from Synco.
    Again, I use it simply because of personal experience in customer and personal firearms.

Senior Member thetinker is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Cool 1911 Lube

Quote Originally Posted by handymanDon View Post
    In gunsmithing I did a post about my sticky barrel bushing. A stainless Gold Cup National Match pistol I've had for 2 years. It was built in 1987. Series 80. Over time the bushing has become more of a problem...sticking, binding. It caused me to eject the main spring cap across the room three times the other day. That's never happened before. I've read that some people swear by Mobile One in lubing their 1911s. Saying that's the only lube they use. My gun shop guy says it's the only lube he uses on his 1911s. That was good enough for me, so that's what I've been using. Just a light coating on all sliding and contact points...and as a final light swab down the barrel. I've heard conventional wisdom says, if it pivots, oil it...if it slides, grease it. Now i'm thinking a thin oil ain't good enough for the bushing...that it really needs something thicker like grease...maybe I should use it on the slide too. Just wondering what people feel is the best grease product for these areas that slide.
    Iv'e been using The lube that Colt sells for many years with no problems, T-12 oil & T-6 Grease. both are formulated to operate from -80 degree's F to +450F degree's and are extreme pressure lubricants that are formulated especially for firearms ! you can order them from Colt for $9.95 ea.
    Last edited by thetinker; 02-02-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    Vincit Qui Patitur "He who perseveres is victorious"

Senior Member broknaxl is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    196 times
    I've been using Tetra grease on certain points and I clean with G96. Sometimes I use Gunslick on some of the innerards.
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

Junior Member handymanDon is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks so much for response people. Lots of good info. Pre-shate it !

Supporting Member Trapdoor is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    I repacked a CV joint on a car once and have been using the left over grease from that for about 15 years now.
    "My very first pistol was a cap and ball Colt
    Shoot as fast as lightnin' but it loads a mite slow" Johnny Cash

Senior Member Collects is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    389 times
    I use Eezox. It works great.

Senior Member therevjay is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Collects View Post
    I use Eezox. It works great.
    Thats a fact. Smells good too.
    "I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way"...........Mark Twain

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads