+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member fugio is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Colt Cadet .22 semi auto

Does anyone know if the Colt .22 Cadet actually had the word "Cadet" stamped or inscribed on the gun? Or can one only id the Cadet by SN ? pics anyone ? Thanks

OK I found out that these were issued in 1994 and pulled from the market in 1995 b/c of a trade mark squabble with Iver Johnson. The early models did have "COLT CADET" stamped on the rear of the slide. Colt recalled them but some people never sent them in. So I guess I answered my own question. Mods can lock up now...
    Last edited by fugio; 05-14-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Senior Member ohiobuckeye is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    288 times
    I have only done a hands on examination of two Colt Cadets, so I cannot say if any of the early slides or barrels were ever rollmarked with "CADET" markings. I learned long ago to never make the statement "Colt never did" this or that particular thing....All too often, statements like that will circle back to bite one in the butt.....
    I have two first edition Colt Cadets with the same S/N and they do not have "CADET" rollmarks. One is the target version S/N CADETXX, and the other is the standard fixed sight version S/N XXCADET....the XX numbers being the same on both guns. They are one of one hundred sets manufactured sometime before the copyright infringement suit dropped the hammer on using the CADET name. Both guns came straight from the factory as a set and the only places the word "CADET" appears, is on the box end flaps and in the serial numbers. Mine are serial numbered well below 100, so there were very few chances to put "CADET" roll mark on others earlier.
    Also, I believe it was Coonan Arms that had the copyright to the CADET name, and not Iver Johnson.
    Last edited by ohiobuckeye; 05-14-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobuckeye View Post
    I have only done a hands on examination of two Colt Cadets, so I cannot say if any of the early slides or barrels were ever rollmarked with "CADET" markings. I learned long ago to never make the statement "Colt never did" this or that particular thing....All too often, statements like that will circle back to bite one in the butt.....
    I have two first edition Colt Cadets with the same S/N and they do not have "CADET" rollmarks. One is the target version S/N CADETXX, and the other is the standard fixed sight version S/N XXCADET....the XX numbers being the same on both guns. They are one of one hundred sets manufactured sometime before the copyright infringement suit dropped the hammer on using the CADET name. Both guns came straight from the factory as a set and the only places the word "CADET" appears, is on the box end flaps and in the serial numbers. Mine are serial numbered well below 100, so there were very few chances to put "CADET" roll mark on others earlier.
    Also, I believe it was Coonan Arms that had the copyright to the CADET name, and not Iver Johnson.
    Ohio;

You are correct about absolutes. My bad... My Cadet is a 1995 model which is the last year that Colt issured the "Cadet" but also the first year they reissued the .22 because of the copyright infringement. So, I am not sure if I have an original first issue or the reissue. I found an article that quoted Colt on the renaming, or the reissue of the Cadet, as merely the Colt .22 Semi automatic. Looked for it but can't find it now. I have seen a few pics of the Cadet Logo on the rear left of the slide where the later ones read only "Colt 22" in script. I also read that Colt recalled all of the models that had the word "Cadet" on them but of course, only so many were returned. Not really sure if it makes much difference but, from what I have seen in my research, the prototypes with the "X" prefix before the SN have sold for 2K

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/catalog...712&gl=318#318

Iver Johnson did make a Cadet:

55S-A CADET Handgun by Iver Johnson Arms, Inc. Valuation Report by UsedPrice.com

Whether they were involved in the dispute is only what I read yesterday Can't find that information today I'll keep looking and doing research...

Thanks for your information Ohio....

Thanks for your help here.

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    You may alreadyknow and just FWIW, when the model appeared in the 1994 catalog, it had the Cadet marking. Of course, that is just the catalog.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    That may well be where I saw the 22 stamped model..Thanks...The BB does state the production was discontinued in 1995 and my SN matches the production for 1995 so I may well have a first isse, in the box not fired, except test fired, and all the papers. Off to the safe with it! Thanks A1A

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    There was also a First Edition which I believe involved matching number black and standard stainless. I only have a black one. It also has Colt 22 inscribed on the left side of the slide, but it is very light and does not show in the pictures.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    A1A

That is a excellent example. Thanks for the pic. The SS one I have was made in 95, the same year of the recall, so I am not sure if it is pre recall or post recall.

Ads