+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member 58worldseries is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

70 series gold cup national match question..

I recently purchased a series 70 MKIV gold cup national match. Serial #70n39xxx. Built in 1976. Seller states the gun was only fired once. Overall condition is near mint . My question is as to value. I'm sure I overpaid, as another bidder and I fought, but I just wondered to what extent. I also wanted to know the difference between this and the government model. No matter it's actual worth, I'm super excited to finally have the colt I've always wanted.I'm Just hoping some Colt experts on this site can give me a bit more info on it. I will post pics when I can. Thanks.
    Last edited by 58worldseries; 08-12-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Member dave38215656 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    box?

Member matchman is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just purchased a 1978 example. Mine was listed as 98% condition (i feal it was 95%) I was ok with paying $1075.
    I have watched them sell for $1250 in "my" condition (In my opnion they have been selling $100-200 higher than typical the last 4-6 mo)
    I beleive the CORRECT box can add $150 give or take $50
    I think the low end on yours would be $1250 no box
    High end $1450 and with "correct" box $1600
    Last edited by matchman; 08-13-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    As for a box, well it has a series 70 box same year but is not correct. So ,we bid it up and I overpaid by a lot. It's beautiful and Im happy to have it. I will be looking for a government model series 70 next. Could you tell me a price ,high end in mint condition on one of those And what the differences are between that and the national match I just purchased? Thanks!!

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Okay guys , as I said I overpaid but please give thoughts on condition. Thanks. Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 70 45 ACP 1911 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Senior Member Blokey is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    IIRC, I paid $1450 for my '75 GCNM but that was in '09:

My latest acquisition...

Your gun has replacement grips and mainspring housing and the sights appeared to be modified. As such, and with an incorrect box, if I were to have bid on that gun, I would have only bid the starting amount.

Anyway, as long as you're happy with your purchase, that's all that matters.
    King of (safe) Queens!

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Wow that low huh? Those are replacement grips? How can you tell didn't they come with those from the factory. I've seen others with the same grips. And the mainspring housing is incorrect as well?

Senior Member Blokey is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    GCNMs of that era came with checkered walnut grips and gold medallions, check out the pic of my '75 gun in the link. The mainspring housing should be flat, serrated blue steel. Either of these items can be purchased from any number of places, they aren't hard to find. While you're at it I'd replace the buggered grips screws too. The shape of the front sight doesn't look right to me and the red "insert", if it's just paint, can easily be removed. The corners of the rear sight blade look like they've been rounded off - Elliasons should have sharp square corners. The overall condition of the gun looks to be very good but I find it difficult to believe it had only been shot once.

I personally would not have paid any more than $800 or so for that gun but that's if I wanted a shooter grade gun. When I looked for a Series 70 GCNM I wanted a clean, original gun with original accessories and I believe I got it for a price I was comfortable paying. I'm sure others have paid less for similar guns as mine but I'm happy with what I bought.
    King of (safe) Queens!

Member matchman is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If it was fired once they must have had a fair amount of amo.
    The Barrel hood shows use and the edges have worn bluing in the grip area. ("slight" if the pics are correct)
    "If" the pistol was correct (not modfied) ide put the condition at 95% (that's just me)
    Someone "may" also have been in the trigger group area as the mag release slot/screw does not look sharp and crisp.
    For the box to add value I beleive the Ser# should match the pistol.
    Here is a CGM that sold just for and idea (no box)
    Just bought an "Excellent" 98% 1977 Government Model - 1911Forum
    Do not feal bad overpaying I just got a 78" Gold Cup that had a damaged barrel advertised as 98% condition.
    I was able to work an adjustment as I still wanted to keep it.
    Adam

Supporting Member JudgeColt will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    974 times
    You asked for opinions, and mine is not very complimentary. I often always amazed what some guns bring at auction. I am amazed that two people thought this worn, non-original gun was worth close to $2,000! In my opinion, it is, at best, a $900 gun.

This inflated price is further evidence that, for maximum return, nothing beats an auction, something the sellers who post in the classifieds here seem to constantly ignore. (The dealers who buy the under-priced guns for resale are glad they do!) I doubt that anyone here would have paid over $900 for that gun, yet it more than doubled that at auction. Sellers love that auction fever!

No matter. It is only money, and you have a gun that you thought was worth what you paid. Unless the extra $1,000 took food off the table, so what? I have paid too much for guns many a time just to finally cross one off the want list. Treat this one that way and enjoy shooting it a bunch. No amount of shooting can hurt its value much more now, which fact has a certain value of its own.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads