+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Kurz is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Colt 1911 "Colt Custom" 1911 Government Series 80 Question

I was browsing my favorite pawn shop and have noticed a Colt 1911 Government Model Series 80 (stainless) with a sales tag labeled "Custom." At first, I thought the description was to merely indicate what was perhaps installed by the previous owner but, upon actual inspection of the gun, it did indeed have "Colt Custom" on the left side of the slide. The "extras" included: I'm trying to recall now but I'm pretty sure the rear sight was Novak, it had a beavertail safety, beveled mag well, adjustable trigger and a bead blasted finish on the top portion of the slide- but I can't recall the barrel hood markings. It didn't indicate "NM" or anything like that anywhere.

The whole point of my post is this - I can't find squat online about this gun. Is anyone familiar with this particular model or its approximate worth? The pawn shop is asking 1,089.00 for it - which, in the realm of 1911 costs, doesn't seem ridiculous. Its overall condition isn't bad but it appears it's owner was careless - it has scratches on the frame from replacing the slide stop and scratches on the muzzle end of the slide from being laid down numerous times on God-knows-what but it was abrasive. The gun could also stand a good amount of cleaning and TLC.

Any information is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Senior Member BBossman1 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Gonna need pictures to narrow it down. Colt put out several guns marked Colt Custom, the most current one in circulation is the bright stainless Super 38.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Senior Member paul45 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    Those are from the late '90's, I believe, prior to the XS series. Not a Novak sight but one that I can't remember right now. The cut is not a Novak so that is an issue for some.

1089 bucks.....I would need a LNIB example for that money
    I prefer Colts.....Semper Fi

Senior Member Blokey is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Did it look something like this?:

King of (safe) Queens!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blokey View Post
    Did it look something like this?:

Yes... Exactly. Can't remember if it had the skeletonized hammer or not, though. The grips were wood.

So, is 1,089.00 too much? I believe he has the original case/box but the gun has seen some use and isn't nearly as clean as this one pictured.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So how much "custom" goes into a Colt Custom as the one pictured above? Is there much hand fitting involved? I noticed the slide to frame fit is much tighter than on my 1991A1. Also, is there anything special about the barrel? The trigger was nice - not much creep or slack. One last difference I forgot to mention between the pictured 1911 and the pawn shop model is the pawn shop model had 3 holes in the trigger instead of a single open oval. I don't know if that helps to narrow down the date of manufacture or not - but, then again, the trigger could have been changed easily enough.

Senior Member paul45 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    That is the Gold Cup version of the "Colt Custom". I thought you said it had "Novak" sights? There is the Gov't version as well. It is nothing special other than the Rollmark. Remember, Colt has produced hundreds (it seems) of differently rollmarked examples of production models for different distributors.
    I prefer Colts.....Semper Fi

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    That is the Gold Cup version of the "Colt Custom". I thought you said it had "Novak" sights? There is the Gov't version as well. It is nothing special other than the Rollmark. Remember, Colt has produced hundreds (it seems) of differently rollmarked examples of production models for different distributors.
    Not too sure about the Novak cut - just can't remember. I should have paid closer attention to that little detail. But I'm guessing the money he is asking for it is above and beyond what its worth. I get good deals there from time to time but usually on things he has underpriced by not knowing a great deal about it - usually military surplus. However, it seems now he overprices much of the inventory to be on the "safe" side - at least from a business perspective. I guess I'll keep looking. Maybe I'll break down someday soon and just get a new Colt Rail Gun.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads