+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Colt 1911 series 70 Gold Cup National Match - thoughts?

Supporting Member Bigfifty is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    I would to venture that it is "all original" to him, but that Colt is not "totally" original from the factory. The grips may be original to the gun, but the Hex screws are a replacement; also looks like the hammer has been jeweled. Even if all this is wrong, it appears there is considerable bluing wear.

I may be wrong, but I wouldn't pay more than $600 as I believe it would be a hard re-sell.
    Two Things Are Infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm Not Sure About The Universe.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member rock185 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Thumbs down

chez, I owned several original '70 Series Gold Cups. That one displays a worn finish, grips and grip screws that are not original, jeweled hammer, and the frame appears to have possibly been cut for a beaver tail grip safety, since removed. Also, it appears that the hammer pin may have been ground down/flattened for an ambi safety, and that both the hammer and sear holes have been countersunk. Better pictures might prove me wrong, but that's how it looks to me in the seller's rather poor photos. In spite of the fact that so many seem to believe any out of production ~COLT~ is a collectors item, that is not one. If to be a shooter, I would buy a more recent example in better condition. If I'd come across that one, I have to admit I would not be interested at any reasonable price...ymmv
    Last edited by rock185; 07-14-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Sp.
    chez323 likes this.

Supporting Member MtnSpur will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2071 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
    chez, I owned several original '70 Series Gold Cups. That one displays a worn finish, grips and grip screws that are not original, jeweled hammer, and the frame appears to have possibly been cut for a beaver tail grip safety, since removed. Also, it appears that the hammer pin may have been ground down/flattened for an ambi safety, and that both the hammer and sear holes have been countersunk. Better pictures might proove me wrong, but that's how it looks to me in the seller's rather poor photos. In spite of the fact that so many seem to believe any out of production ~COLT~ is a collectors item, that is not one. If to be a shooter, I would buy a more recent example in better condition. If I'd come across that one, I have to admit I would not be interested at any reasonable price...ymmv
    Agreed. Only way I'd go here is away. You can find much better examples that are un-tampered with. I think you're better off without this one.
    "The end comes no matter what, the only thing that matters is how do you wanna go out, on your feet or on your knees?".....FBI Director James Grace from "The Kingdom"

Senior Member ussmanlovede36 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    the grips are replacements and the grip screws. the grip safety also seems to be a replacement, the tang is too long. the hammer seems to be jeweled. i think 900 is a little high for this one. but you can get new grips and grip safety. after a careful inspection i might go 800. or you can buy a new GCNM for around 1200. i do like the new ones more even though they are expensive.

Senior Member JohnnyP is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1187 times
    As rock 185 noted, the rear of the receiver has been altered severely. The seller may or may not know of all the problems the pistol has, but it isn't worth pursuing.

Supporting Member JudgeColt will become famous soon enough JudgeColt will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1137 times
    I stand corrected. I did not look carefully at the pistol, and did not realize that the frame had been altered to accommodate the aftermarket grip safety. (I have a "beavertail" grip safety on my "shooter" Series '70 Gold Cup, but it is a genuine Colt item, which did not require alteration of the frame.) While the stocks and screws are an easy fix, the frame alteration is a deal-killer for me, unless the price is low enough (it would have to be REALLY low for me) to make the gun worth it for trading stock or the like.

As others have said, pass on this one.

Senior Member chez323 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    54 times

Here's a pic of the gun with the grips removed, does this help confirm any modifications?
    Last edited by chez323; 07-14-2013 at 08:37 AM.
    Tim
    USAF Retired

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    I will be using the gun as a shooter, that being said what would a fair price be for it if these mod's have indeed been done?
    Tim
    USAF Retired

Senior Member JohnnyP is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1187 times
    If it were me, I wouldn't pay over $650 or so. The modification is permanent and can't be reversed and will always affect the value of the pistol. Below is a photo of what the area looked like before modification. The part that has been removed provided support for the web of the hand during firing. You could always reinstall a beaver tail safety, but that doesn't make it right.

chez323 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    thanks all, I would never have picked up on that. Appreciate all the info........
    Tim
    USAF Retired

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links